What's new

Another dual Monitor Question

puma

Very simply.. is there a way to hook up two monitors where they will be powered via the video card? I don't want to use a USB connection because I don't like how washed out and crappy the display looks when done this way.

Is this even possible without getting monitors that support something specific like chaining?

OP
P

puma

Thanks for the reply. Ok I was hoping that there was another way, kind of disappointed there aren't just two ports on the dock.

Nuspieds

powered?

From what i have read, it you have 2 displayport 1.2 monitors with DP in AND out, you can daisy chain the video and it'll work. I have also read some hit and miss about DisplayPort hubs.

http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...aisy-chaining-monitors-displayport-1-2-a.html
To clarify, as stated in that other thread, only one monitor needs to be DP 1.2-compliant and have the DP output port--and that's the monitor that's directly connected to the Surface. The very last monitor in a DP chain can be DP 1.1-compliant monitor with no DP output ports.

Nuspieds

Thanks for the reply. Ok I was hoping that there was another way, kind of disappointed there aren't just two ports on the dock.
Prior to the SP2, DP daisy-chaining was not possible on the SP1. As a result, I went with the USB approach. As much I was worried about lag and performance before I jumped in, after all was said and done, that setup worked beautifully and I have no complaints whatsoever!

I experienced no performance or lag issues--all while sharing the USB 3 port with Gigabit internet connection and other USB 3 devices. I would definitely recommend this approach to anyone looking for an inexpensive multi-monitor solution.

OP
P

puma

hmm this looks interesting. I want to make this my primary computer, but I need the two monitors (without being washed out)... i will let you know if I try this.