What's new

Anroid Emulator: Android OS On SP3

ChrisPanzer

This is an informative post, thought it may help some people out that are dual-Android & PC users: the Andy Emulator.

I stumbled on it today, installed it on my i5/256 Sp3, and it FLIES. I use a Leica device for work that only utilizes iOS or Android. I thought all was lost, until I found this jewel.

Hope this helps some lost soul out...

Here's the link, it's about a 500mb large, and takes about 20 min to install.

http://www.andyroid.net

pcom

Personally, I prefer DuOS by AMI (amiduos.com) but andyroid is pretty good. After using them both for a while I found DuOS to be faster, smaller and more intuitive but YMMV.

Last edited:

goodintentions

Might as well share my opinion on here.

Let me be honest. After deving for android for a couple years and used everything android, I decided to call it quits and left the ecosystem completely. Why? Too fragmented. Individual manufacturers are free to add in whatever crap they think is best to the OS, and I was left with answering to angry users' emails on why my apps all of a sudden stopped working.

But the assault wasn't just coming from the manufacturers. I literally held my breath every time google came out with a new update to their OS. Compatibility was always, and I mean ALWAYS, a problem.

I personally know some devs who, after a while, just gave up on updating their apps for compatibility reasons. Once you are committed to the ecosystem, you can't do anything but keep trying to make your apps compatible with individual manufacturers' specs and the next version of android.

In short, I simply got tired of committing the time and energy in "fixing" my apps after either the manufacturers or the google team breaks my apps.

tuchas

I've used Andy, BlueStacks, and now DuOS, and DuOS is hands down the best. Fastest, most reliable Android emulator there is. Waiting patiently for ConsoleOS, whose developers seem to be having some issues with the SP3 - but it will allow you to boot into Android in a separate partition.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

I have just discovered that Andy does not provide Bluetooth support... Do you guys know if this DuOS provides BT support? Thank you!

benjitek

Just installed DuOS on my SP2 -- had no idea it was possible to run Android on a PC. Works well on my SP2, but the device runs extremely hot when it's in Android-mode, you could fry an egg on it...

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

Just installed DuOS on my SP2 -- had no idea it was possible to run Android on a PC. Works well on my SP2, but the device runs extremely hot when it's in Android-mode, you could fry an egg on it...
lol. That's actually why I prefer my surface above all the rest - it makes a great omelette for me each morning.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm waiting for the Myth Busters episode where they attempt to fry an egg on a Surface. I think they will have better luck on the hood of a Buick in the sun. :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd eat that egg...
It will be like this...
http://thicksolidtight.me/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/tumblr_mmhtykobVd1qim44lo1_500.gif

untitled.png

Is there any emulators that don't burn 30% cpu all the time. This is my issue as there smashing through the battery and heating up the surface to no end.