What's new

Any Doctors in the house?

Rugbyguy541

So my Dad is a doctor, and he just got the SP3 after seeing how much I love mine for school. He has to take some big exam next year so I have him set up on how to use it to get the most out of studying with it.

What else I want to know is, how do you (as a doctor) incorporate your SP3 into everyday work? My dad is a huge tech geek like myself, so anything and everything would be great.

BillJ

I am an ER doctor in Philly. I teach resident doctors, and I use my SP3 for research, creation of presentations and lectures, and for my own continuing education.
We use electronic medical records in our emergency departments, and I have tried to use the SP3 for this. Unfortunately, the EMR is designed to be an aid for billing (not patient care!) and is intended to run on Windows XP with all sorts of security features applied. The program does work after a fashion on the SP3, but with drop-down menus and such, the documentation process is still easier with a standard desktop machine and mouse. Doctors in general thoroughly dislike their EMR's for being irrelevant to patient care and otherwise difficult to use, and I am no exception.

I dream of a time when I can sit down with a patient, look him/her in the eye and simultaneously record my interaction with my tablet PC.
I hope that time is not far off. There may be medical programs for office-based physicians that could be run very well with an SP3, I just don't know what those would be at this time.

OP
Rugbyguy541

Rugbyguy541

I am an ER doctor in Philly. I teach resident doctors, and I use my SP3 for research, creation of presentations and lectures, and for my own continuing education.
We use electronic medical records in our emergency departments, and I have tried to use the SP3 for this. Unfortunately, the EMR is designed to be an aid for billing (not patient care!) and is intended to run on Windows XP with all sorts of security features applied. The program does work after a fashion on the SP3, but with drop-down menus and such, the documentation process is still easier with a standard desktop machine and mouse. Doctors in general thoroughly dislike their EMR's for being irrelevant to patient care and otherwise difficult to use, and I am no exception.

I dream of a time when I can sit down with a patient, look him/her in the eye and simultaneously record my interaction with my tablet PC.
I hope that time is not far off. There may be medical programs for office-based physicians that could be run very well with an SP3, I just don't know what those would be at this time.

My dad is a cardiologist so he does get to sit down with his pt's a bit more. He is excited to use this for presentations and for research papers, with the ability to annotate right on the PDF's.

Stockholmstar

I actually use the screen. But, I quickly adapted to work without the keyboard when on the road. I love the freedom of not having to carry the keyboard. And yes, I do a lot of Excel and PP.

annabanana

I'm not a doctor but I know one using it for EMR. He takes it into the exam room for each patient and enters his notes during the visit. He raves about it. Its a small practice with 2 physicians.

annabanana

Really, EMR running on Windows XP?? That's troubling since Microsoft no longer supports XP with security updates.

bulls96

I use it for my EMR too. The jarin put problem is that it uses a lot of Java. The screen is to high resolution that the fonts turn out small.

I also use UptoDate a lot on it.

I also carry around a surface wedge mouse which is real helpful.

BillJ

Really, EMR running on Windows XP?? That's troubling since Microsoft no longer supports XP with security updates.

The IT department at my hospital just updated to Windows 7 this year.

Highly motivated physicians in small practices will be able to implement EMR on portable devices in their offices for their personal records, but there will still be problems with importing/exporting other data, such as lab, radiology, consultant reports, hospital documents. Medical IT is a veritable tower of Babel, with so much patient care data sitting in places that nobody can access or use.

The Cleveland Clinic has a home grown IT solution that seems to work for them, but they are still a closed system (I wonder if the SP3 could run their software...). The holy grail in medical EMR is to have access to all pertinent patient information in the same program, whether that information was generated locally or out of state, or even out of country.

buckstar

I'm a physican and I use my SP3 to run our EMR using remote desktop, works great. I also bring it room to room with my patients and keep copies of handouts (describing surgical procedures, etc...) in OneNote. Then I mark them up, hit print and they are waiting for the patients when they check out at the front desk. If your dad is a cardiologist I would show him how to do this - patients love it and this I way I know they really understand what's going on.

sdreamer

As a pharmacist, rounding with the SP3 made it a lot easier than having to wheel around WOWs. Something other pharmacists have really liked is being able to use the pen for input to quickly navigate EMR software, then having the keyboard work just like it would if they were using the WOWs or their desktops. Being able to quickly take notes on about patients using OneNote is another plus I find, especially since I usually do it using the pen. I just wish there were more references available for offline use to make search of pertinent information faster.

ScottyS

I'm a neurologist in a teaching hospital. I used SP and now SP3 to connect to our EMR using remote desktop, but the WiFi limited connectivity problem has been a problem in some locations around the hospital, but not other locations.
I use OneNote as a white board to draw diagrams for teaching residents and student (I even have pages in OneNote with diagrams, MRIs etc. which I can mark up to show things). I also access our radiology and in addition to looking at the CTs and MRIs myself I use it to show residents and even take it into the patient's room to show them the findings if they are interested.

I also have a vast collection of journal articles saved to OneDrive and create PowerPoint presentations at home on my SP3 with a monitor and keyboard and mouse, and then use the SP3 with a miniDisplayport-to-VGA adapter to project the presentations in out auditorium.