What's new

Any Happy SP3 users?

ctitanic

Oh man - I just COULDN'T pass up highlighting this one....:LOL:

On a serious note, as Jeff (jnjroach) said, the SPro 3 is the best yet, but not just best Surface Pro, but the best Tablet PC experience ever. I only go back to the HP convertibles, but this thing is everything Bill Gates envisioned back with original tablet version of XP.

To me, the Pro 3 is the best Tablet PC I have ever owned.

ctitanic

Yeah this is by far the best tablet. I'm soooo glad that I joined this forum after I purchased it. I would of been scared to buy one after reading some of the posts here.

And I don't blame you. Unless there is something that's hardware relative I usually don't play attention to all the negativity around a new release. So far, the only warning that I would add to any of my recommendations would be: Don't buy it if you are a gamer.

bkydcmpr

And I don't blame you. Unless there is something that's hardware relative I usually don't play attention to all the negativity around a new release. So far, the only warning that I would add to any of my recommendations would be: Don't buy it if you are a gamer.

that's not what microsoft said (Surface for gaming -Microsoft Surface).

I know it's really close. sp4 likely will nail it, but that 10 month will be really really long.

diamond.g

I am loving my SPro3. Got it to replace a Samsung ATIV 500t. No real software or hardware issues to speak of. Digging the speediness and the larger screen size.

Seneleron

any happy sp3 gamers?

It runs my antiquated FFXI better than my 2014 Blade pro [I can't get it to run on on the Nvidia card] and Hearthstone runs fairly well.

Anything that requires more power. . .well. . . that's what the RBP and my desktop are for.

And can anyone find these mythical BROADWELL-M specs? People keep throwing around "Broadwell this" and "broadwell SP4", but what little information I've seen says that you're talking about LOSING 20% performance with broadwell-m in exchange for substantial battery sipping. . .

Of course, I can't dig up MY source material for THAT either, so take it with a grain of salt...

Klownicle

Replaced my Surface Pro 1st, happier than a pig in %^&*. You can wait out anything when it comes to products these days. Ultimately its your decision... with your money... right now. I've waited long enough, form factor upgrades far surpass specifications when it comes to upgrades like these to me.

OP
F

fonzman78

that's not what microsoft said (Surface for gaming -Microsoft Surface).

I know it's really close. sp4 likely will nail it, but that 10 month will be really really long.

I addressed gaming on the Surface in another thread. I am a hardcore gamer. As such, I know full well that the Surface is not a gaming machine. To even think so is asinine. Will it play games, sure. Will it play them at an acceptable frame rate? No way. At least not the games I play.

I can assure you that the Surface 4 will not be able to game any better if it keeps the same GPU regardless of what processor you put in it.

So, all you 'gamers' out there trying to make a case for Surface gaming, why do it? You know that it will never run Titanfall as well or even close to your gaming rigs regardless of what Microsoft says. If your plan was to buy a Surface 3 because you wanted it to play games, then, my friends, you are buying the wrong laptop. Take your hard earned money and buy an ASUS or Alienware (Dell now?) or any other gaming laptop. But then you will be lugging around a big, heavy powerhouse that only gets 1.5-2 hours battery time.

But, I suspect you gamers already know this. There is some fun in pushing/tweaking devices to their limit. I recall modifying autoexec.bat to load HIMEM.sys. Been there, done that.

Klownicle

I addressed gaming on the Surface in another thread. I am a hardcore gamer. As such, I know full well that the Surface is not a gaming machine. To even think so is asinine. Will it play games, sure. Will it play them at an acceptable frame rate? No way. At least not the games I play.

I can assure you that the Surface 4 will not be able to game any better if it keeps the same GPU regardless of what processor you put in it.

So, all you 'gamers' out there trying to make a case for Surface gaming, why do it? You know that it will never run Titanfall as well or even close to your gaming rigs regardless of what Microsoft says. If your plan was to buy a Surface 3 because you wanted it to play games, then, my friends, you are buying the wrong laptop. Take your hard earned money and buy an ASUS or Alienware (Dell now?) or any other gaming laptop. But then you will be lugging around a big, heavy powerhouse that only gets 1.5-2 hours battery time.

But, I suspect you gamers already know this. There is some fun in pushing/tweaking devices to their limit. I recall modifying autoexec.bat to load HIMEM.sys. Been there, done that.

Why not just use Steam Streaming? Heck, even if you want on the go, given that its limited to local network, use a technology like OpenVPN. Then you can remote into your own network and steam stream that way! Its how I do it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to hear from people that played the games they referenced in that link. I wonder if those games are causing any issues.

Here is Lisa from Mobile Techreview Playing Civ5 on her review at 23:40

[video=youtube;xfpl5V7DMl4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfpl5V7DMl4&list=PL2D4AD32A6A37D45F#t=1419[/video]