What's new

Any limit on Micro SD size?

Theoretically the SDXC size limit is 2TB. Of course you will have to wait for cards to get that big to confirm ;) As RMansfield pointed out you can't even get 128GB at he moment let alone 2TB.

Formatted as NTFS, that is as large as they can get, because that is the addressable limit of NTFS. I don't see manufactures supporting the GPT file system any time in the near future, so 2TB will be the maximum.

revmike

I have a old cowon O2 media player, it's limit on sd cards was 32gb as per the manufacturer. I decided to put in a 64gb one and it works perfectly. It could be that the limits on sd card size is based on the size of cards that are available at the time the product is introduced.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I have a old cowon O2 media player, it's limit on sd cards was 32gb as per the manufacturer. I decided to put in a 64gb one and it works perfectly. It could be that the limits on sd card size is based on the size of cards that are available at the time the product is introduced.

That is exactly the case. The manufacturers only specify compatibility with the media available at the time of release. It limits their liability and is something they can directly test. At the same time there are standards in place and if everybody is adhering to the standard then there is no reason not to hit the theoretical limits once the larger cards become available.