What's new

Any power when you unboxed?

Derrick Hanaway

Did you guys have any power when you first unboxed your Surface? I know when i bought the Surface 2, the battery was defective and would not hold a charge so i am a little worried that my Surface Pro 3 is the same way... Let me know before i dive in.

VickiFL

I don't think any of the SP3's come fully charged right out of the box, at least that has been my experience. I've had a couple replacement SP3's for various reasons, and then exchanged for an i5.

OP
D

Derrick Hanaway

I don't think any of the SP3's come fully charged right out of the box, at least that has been my experience. I've had a couple replacement SP3's for various reasons, and then exchanged for an i5.
What was all your issues you had? Should I just return this SP3 before I cant? I have 15 days after opening...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
15 days? You must be australian right? Everywhere else seems to be 30.

See how it goes for a week, there are plenty of battery diagnostic tools available. It could be nothing. No point jumping to conclusion. My sp3 had about 80% power, yet i bought a pair of different tablets prior to the surface and neither had any juice out of the box, yet both have performed for years without an issue, often beating the advertised battery usage.

VickiFL

I had an SP3 i3 that refused to boot to Windows, and then my replacement i3 kept freezing up, so they replaced that one as well. There was nothing wrong with my 3rd i3, I just decided that the i5 would suit my needs better, so I made an exchange. That was 2 weeks ago.

I bought the Microsoft Complete warranty, and a purple type cover as well. I also got a bluetooth speaker and a Micro SD card. I have been waiting for something like this for a very long time. This device is very unique, and I think it would be a shame if you didn't give it a fair chance.

Despite the minor problems, I still love my SP3, and really wouldn't want to be without it.

Grumpy2

My Sp3 came with 80%+ out of the box. If you do a battery report it will tell you when it was first charged and information on what has happened since. Just type cud in the search box and in the command prompt dialogue box type: powercfg/battery report.
Hope this is helpfull.

OP
D

Derrick Hanaway

You guys have been wonderful thank you for your all of the help and info. I am military so the Exchange aka PX only warrants a 15 day open electronic return policy. Australia would be awesome though! ;)

OP
D

Derrick Hanaway

My Sp3 came with 80%+ out of the box. If you do a battery report it will tell you when it was first charged and information on what has happened since. Just type cud in the search box and in the command prompt dialogue box type: powercfg/battery report.
Hope this is helpfull.
i tried typing this in and says its a invalid entry ?

Grumpy2

Ok> In the search box on the start screen type in battery report. In the list that is displayed click-touch on Powercfg Battery report. You will be then taken to a page which will explain what to do. In the command prompt box type: powercfg/batteryreport. But read the articles in case I got it wrong.

ScottyS

My 1st SP3 had 80% power when I opened the box. MS store exchanged it because of WiFi/BT problem (which the second one also had) and it was dead out of the box. It wouldn't even start-up with power cable plugged it. I left power cable plugged in about 15 minutes and then it booted and showed 10% power. Since I've fully charged it it has at least held up as far as holding the charge. I haven't tried leaving it on till it goes to zero, but I've used it in and out of standby for several hours without inappropriate battery drain and I can left in standby all day with only a 10-20% depletion.