What's new

Any tips to reduce or prevent the fan from starting up

Edo0003

Hello,

My fan on the sp3 starts going off whenever I do light tasks such as browsing on IE. Any tips to help reduce the fan? My memory is usually at around 20-30% usage even when nothing is opened.

ctitanic

Hello,

My fan on the sp3 starts going off whenever I do light tasks such as browsing on IE. Any tips to help reduce the fan? My memory is usually at around 20-30% usage even when nothing is opened.
Check your indexing options and exclude the user and IE temp folders from it.

Capture.JPG

daveyp

I'm guessing you have the i5/i7 version. I dont know anything that will prevent it, but to minimize it you could try undervolting. But there is something more direct you can try by lowering the CPU's frequency. MS removed power settings that allow you to force the CPU to run at lower frequencies. But that is 'easily' remedied.

On a side note, you can enable the power profiles that microsoft removed doing similar things. But here's what you want to do. Supposing 'Balanced' is your power profile, open a command prompt with admin privileges (I dont remember if necessary, but I always do this by default). Type in with enters after each bulleted command

• powercfg /setdcvalueindex SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMAX 50
  • powercfg /setacvalueindex SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMAX 50
What you just did was make your max CPU frequency 50% of what it normally is. Change 50 to the percentage you want. This forces my i3 SP3 to hang at 680Mhz

But you're not done yet. You need to reset the power profile. Type in
  • powercfg /l
You will see something like

Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e (Balanced)​

The text in red is the ID of the power profile. Copy it (right click->mark->highlight text->press enter).

Finally type

• powercfg /setactive 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e

Now your CPU will throttle only up to half its max. I'm not sure how it will work alongside turboboost but feel free to experiment.

ctitanic

I'm guessing you have the i5/i7 version. I dont know anything that will prevent it, but to minimize it you could try undervolting. But there is something more direct you can try by lowering the CPU's frequency. MS removed power settings that allow you to force the CPU to run at lower frequencies. But that is 'easily' remedied.

On a side note, you can enable the power profiles that microsoft removed doing similar things. But here's what you want to do. Supposing 'Balanced' is your power profile, open a command prompt with admin privileges (I dont remember if necessary, but I always do this by default). Type in with enters after each bulleted command

• powercfg /setdcvalueindex SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMAX 50
  • powercfg /setacvalueindex SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMAX 50
What you just did was make your max CPU frequency 50% of what it normally is. Change 50 to the percentage you want. This forces my i3 SP3 to hang at 680Mhz

But you're not done yet. You need to reset the power profile. Type in
  • powercfg /l
You will see something like

Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e (Balanced)​

The text in red is the ID of the power profile. Copy it (right click->mark->highlight text->press enter).

Finally type

• powercfg /setactive 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e

Now your CPU will throttle only up to half its max. I'm not sure how it will work alongside turboboost but feel free to experiment.
A really good piece of information!

ctitanic

Question, would not this be the solution for the throttling issue reported by gamers? They can change 50 by 80 for example.

daveyp

Question, would not this be the solution for the throttling issue reported by gamers? They can change 50 by 80 for example.
I can't be certain as I don't know how much of an impact this has on heat, nor how it works along with turboboost. I suppose it may at the very least lessen the effect, possibly remove it if the settings are chosen extreme enough.

Zog1971

Check your indexing options and exclude the user and IE temp folders from it.

View attachment 3001
Thanks for this, Frank. I had read somewhere about changing the indexing options but didn't know what to change or where to go. However, when I click modify I'm confused. I cant find an IE temp folder. I do have a check on the Users folder on the C drive. Is that what you mean to uncheck? Thanks for any additional info or clarification you can offer. Also, what does unchecking these DO exactly? :)

ctitanic

Thanks for this, Frank. I had read somewhere about changing the indexing options but didn't know what to change or where to go. However, when I click modify I'm confused. I cant find an IE temp folder. I do have a check on the Users folder on the C drive. Is that what you mean to uncheck? Thanks for any additional info or clarification you can offer. Also, what does unchecking these DO exactly? :)
When you unchek you are removing the folder from being indexed. You can add it back by checking it.
The Temp folder should appear listed. Anyway, you can unclick everything and just add the Music, Video and Documents libraries. That's enough.

Zog1971

Look at the system with Task Manager and Resource Monitor to determine what is using abnormally high resources.
Ultimately, this is what you need to do. Monitor what processes are causing the CPU to ramp up, which leads to heat, which leads to the fan. I did this and found that Windows Defender was doing crazy things when my system was idle to make the fan blow. In the task manager, under the processes tab, I could see the WD AntiMalware Service peaking the cpu at 35% just when sitting idle. Turning WD off and installing a free AV software solved that issue for me. You may be different, but pinpointing what processes are causing the CPU to run hot is the key to figuring out why your fan is blowing.

ctitanic

BTW. Trying to stop the fan is not a good idea because that's the cooling system. I would be more concern about decreasing throttling even it the device get a little bit hotter but with the fan running.

Last edited:

Zog1971

I encountered an issue today again where the fan randomly came on when the computer was just sitting idle. Looking at task manager showed the CPU going to 90-100%cpu and 100% disk usage. After again monitoring processes, discovered that the system was defragmenting my disk. Turns out that this is a weekly process that runs and from what most say, it is not a good idea to defrag SSD's. The Surface Pro's are all set to defrag weekly so I went and turned that setting off. But just adding that to the list of "Things that make our fans BLOW".