What's new

Any way to match docked/undocked DPI for display scaling?

Scott Wells

I know this is another dead horse thing, but I figured I'd ask a more specific version of the question. When I'm at home, I use the official dock to connect my SP3 to three monitors: 1) 19" 1280x1024; 2) 27" 2560x1440; 3) 24" 1920x1080. I also leave the internal display active, so 12" 2160x1440. It's a great setup comprised of monitors as I've upgraded over time, and it's hugely productive for me.

The real issue, of course, is that depending on whether I was docked or undocked the last time I logged out/in or rebooted, the other configuration ends up blurry until I log out/in or reboot. Based on quite a bit of research into this, I'm reasonably familiar with MS's various approaches to display scaling in Windows 7, 8, and 10 and understand why this is the case, hence the more specific question that I'm going to ask.

Based on the monitors I'm using, is there some DPI/display configuration I could use that would prevent this from happening? My understanding is that if the DPI of the docked and undocked configurations matched, it wouldn't be an issue, but I've yet to find a good way to set things up so that the DPIs match. A little more information that might prove useful...when docked, the 27" 2560x1440 screen is configured as the primary display, and of course when undocked the SP3 screen is the primary display. I'm not sure if making the SP3 the primary display whether docked or undocked might help.

So rather than conjecture further, I figured I'd lob this out in hopes that perhaps someone more learned on this topic than I am might be able to help.

Thanks much in advance for any helpful guidance!

Last edited: