What's new

Any Windows RT tablets with a 16:10 aspect ratio and higher resolution?

ziphnor

When i first heard about the MS Surface i found it quite interesting, but after trying out one myself it became obvious to me that even though i really like the win 8 touch interface (much more so than android and ios) there we two major problems with it:

Primarily the 16:9 aspect ratio makes for a rather poor tablet aspect ratio IMHO. In landscape its inconvenient for browsing because you can read too few lines vertically, and in portrait it becomes a bit too thin to show for example a text column and navigation at the same time. I think there is a reason that almost all other non-ipad tablets and computer screens in general are 16:10 :)

Secondarily, the resolution is a bit on the low side which is pretty evident when browsing and looking at books.

Anyway, i was wondering if there are any other Windows RT tablets available or upcoming that will have a 16:10 aspect ratio and as a minimum a 1920x1200 resolution? (because otherwise i think its time to buy a Nexus 10 :)

PS: I realize this forum is Surface General discussion, but i couldn't find a more suitable spot for it, and though that posts discussing similar products might also be considered on-topic.

GreatWindows

When i first heard about the MS Surface i found it quite interesting, but after trying out one myself it became obvious to me that even though i really like the win 8 touch interface (much more so than android and ios) there we two major problems with it:

Primarily the 16:9 aspect ratio makes for a rather poor tablet aspect ratio IMHO. In landscape its inconvenient for browsing because you can read too few lines vertically, and in portrait it becomes a bit too thin to show for example a text column and navigation at the same time. I think there is a reason that almost all other non-ipad tablets and computer screens in general are 16:10 :)

Secondarily, the resolution is a bit on the low side which is pretty evident when browsing and looking at books.

Anyway, i was wondering if there are any other Windows RT tablets available or upcoming that will have a 16:10 aspect ratio and as a minimum a 1920x1200 resolution? (because otherwise i think its time to buy a Nexus 10 :)

PS: I realize this forum is Surface General discussion, but i couldn't find a more suitable spot for it, and though that posts discussing similar products might also be considered on-topic.

Have you used a Surface before? If you haven't make sure you use one and look at the resolution, more pixels really doesn't mean "better"

R0bR

I have a Dell XPS 12 ultrabook for work, it has a flip screen to put it in tablet mode and it has 1920 x 1200 resolution. I find that reading on my Surface is a much better experience than it is on my XPS. The XPS resolution is too high when most apps don't have zoom or font size options. As for aspect ratio I much prefer the 16:9 but I watch a lot of movies, the magazines I do read seem to work well in portrait mode. Obviously everyone's preference is different, if the Nexus addresses most of your needs that may be the way to go.

Hstakz

The surface uses a Clear type Hd sub-pixel rendering method which means the glass and the LCD display is bonded together with no small gap between the two. This enables rich text formats and makes the "low " 1366x768 resolution look really really nice. The 16:9 ratio on the surface means tou can watch hd movies in full screen without any black bars or letter boxing. If the surface would to have a resolution of 1920x1080 everything would be much smaller including text and title boxes as the screen is only 10"

Think twice about it other wise the Sony vio duo 11 has the full 1080p display and windows 8 pro with a laptop/tablet look and feel.

OP
Z

ziphnor

Have you used a Surface before? If you haven't make sure you use one and look at the resolution, more pixels really doesn't mean "better"

Yes, i have tried it out, one of my colleagues bought one. Comparing it side-by-side with an iPad 4, the difference in text quality was very apparent. Anyway, my primary concern is really the aspect ratio, 16:9 is just a bit too wide for a tablet IMHO.

OP
Z

ziphnor

The surface uses a Clear type Hd sub-pixel rendering method which means the glass and the LCD display is bonded together with no small gap between the two. This enables rich text formats and makes the "low " 1366x768 resolution look really really nice. The 16:9 ratio on the surface means tou can watch hd movies in full screen without any black bars or letter boxing.

16:10 works pretty well for movies as well, as the bars aren't that big (unlike for 4:3), it also allows you to display navigation controls without covering up the movie content. Anyway, the only time i will be watching movies on it is if i am on airplane. I have a nice 16:9 60" Pioneer plasma for watching movies :) I am not tryint to start a fight over aspect ratios, i was wondering if other winrt tablets was coming up with a different aspect ratio.

Btw, i think you are mixing anti-aliasing (sub-pixel rendering) with the bonded display construction, that is two completely different technologies.

If the surface would to have a resolution of 1920x1080 everything would be much smaller including text and title boxes as the screen is only 10"

Hopefully WinRT is clever enough to scale graphics and fonts correctly!? Increasing resolution should not decrease the size of anything, otherwise you would need a microscope on the Nexus 10 ;)

Think twice about it other wise the Sony vio duo 11 has the full 1080p display and windows 8 pro with a laptop/tablet look and feel.

The sony weighs 2x what a tablet normally weights, so thats not really an option, but thank you for the suggestion.

Last edited: