What's new

Anybody else considering the i3?

GreyMatta

Is anybody else considering purchasing the base model with the i3 CPU?

I am having a dilemma at the moment and don't know which model to buy

SP2 base model i5, 4400 GPU, 4GB, 64GB - £512
SP3 base model i3, 4200 GPU, 4GB, 64GB - £575

Both these prices are using student discount from the UK Microsoft store

The lack of turbo and the lacklustre GPU on the i3 are the only things stopping me getting the SP3 and the i5 model is an extra £200 but on the other hand that screen on the SP3 looks gorgeous.

I have flip flopped between buying each one for a few days :confused:

I will be using it for a bit if visual studio 2013, manga studio, reading comics magazines etc and web browsing.

Might get the SP2 now then upgrade to the Broadwell version of SP3 in 6 months :)
Sounds like a plan... but if you need a device between now and then, I wouldn't advise on buying an SP2. I'd suggest buying an inexpensive 11"-12" notebook. Asus makes a few models that sell for a fraction of what an SP2 sells for.

drolem

If you can, wait for the SP3 -- it's a much nicer machine. Of course once it's released, SP2 prices will drop at least $100, so that may change the equation a bit.

OP
G

GreyMatta

Sounds like a plan... but if you need a device between now and then, I wouldn't advise on buying an SP2. I'd suggest buying an inexpensive 11"-12" notebook. Asus makes a few models that sell for a fraction of what an SP2 sells for.

Why do advise against the SP2 other than cost

Klownicle

Might get the SP2 now then upgrade to the Broadwell version of SP3 in 6 months :)

I'm not aware that they will be that significant of an upgrade when Broadwell comes out. Just because the SP2 had a minor bump in processor, doesn't mean they are going to change the entire cpu class. Changing something like that is as good as an internal upgrade of all components. As when you have a change in processor series, the equipment that works with it changes as well. I just don't see that happening as a "unnoticed spec bump" like the SP2. Its bad enough the product life cycle is already under 1 year.

Now if you want to jump on the SP4 bandwagon and wait it out, have fun.

kevinlevrone

Is anybody else considering purchasing the base model with the i3 CPU?

I am having a dilemma at the moment and don't know which model to buy

SP2 base model i5, 4400 GPU, 4GB, 64GB - £512
SP3 base model i3, 4200 GPU, 4GB, 64GB - £575

Both these prices are using student discount from the UK Microsoft store

The lack of turbo and the lacklustre GPU on the i3 are the only things stopping me getting the SP3 and the i5 model is an extra £200 but on the other hand that screen on the SP3 looks gorgeous.

I have flip flopped between buying each one for a few days :confused:

I will be using it for a bit if visual studio 2013, manga studio, reading comics magazines etc and web browsing.

The SP2 i5 is 75% faster than the SP3 i3 (2200 vs 3800 PassMark score). The SP3 4200 graphics will struggle with the 2160x1440 display.
If you want to keep the tablet for a long time, like 1.5-3 years the SP3 may still be a better buy but in i5/128 form.

Why do advise against the SP2 other than cost
Primarily it is cost.

I think that your plan to get a Broadwell-based SP3 is a good one. That's when I'll think about getting one.

But buying an SP2 now only to sell it in 6 months is not wise IMO. Surface devices don't hold their value. You're going to lose a few $100 between now and then. For serious use, you'll probably get the TypeCover2. You'll lose money on resale on that too and it's an additional expense. 6 months with Microsoft is a long time and a lot can happen. And that doesn't take into account what other companies will be delivering between now and then.

Microsoft no longer sells the SP2 on their website. Edit: correction, the SP2 is still on the site, the page links have been restored. SP2 is a discontinued product... if you want to buy one, buy it a clearance price.

Last edited:

Striknine

As soon as September rolls around I'll have one. Although I will most likely go with an i5 instead.

Last edited: