What's new

Anybody got notification that their SP4 i7 shipped?

Still loading software. I will run some tests in a couple hours. So far, I can say it is fast...no fan noise at all during updates, loading apps. I will run some youtube videos and see if I can get the fan running and noise.
So far so good. I haven't heard the fan on the ap i5 once, even now when playing a game, silent, where as my wifes s3i7 is pretty much always on, even if only very gently. The quietness of the i5 is something I love, glad to hear the new i7 sounds like it's a big improvement too.

OP
S

starstreak

I swear I would go down to the store and just buy it. lol. I just need patience. I just find it irritating that MS would ship it on day of release and make it a Friday. AND to have stores sell it while we still wait for ours.

OP
S

starstreak

So I have my keyboard and Nibs.. Wow. Ohhhh. Neat... Click. Click. It's broken! Oh wait. It's not attached to the SP4 because I have to wait till MONDAY! Lol.

Cerif27

Don't get too excited about those "confirmations". Last month when I was headed to the store to pick up my i7 after TWO emails from corporate AND the store manager herself telling me that my order, specifically, was in the store. I took off work a couple hours early and drove across town to pick it up! Not there. Didn't get a single i7. No idea when they are going to show up. $50 gift card, please don't get angry in the store even though you have every right to start destroying the place. Get a call the next day with "confirmation" that my SP4 will be in the store November 20th.

Flash forward to today. I call the MS store two days in advance. After a very long hold, I'm told that the store has my order ready to go but can't give it to me until the 20th. No problem, Just didn't want a repeat of last time, thanks for checking. Take off three hours early to head across town and miss rush hour. Arrive in the store. Oh! You had a 256GB i7? We didn't get any of those. Sorry. Walks away. I proceed to implode. Talk to manager again. Coincidentally the same that sent me the bogus email from last month. Has NO IDEA when they are getting my preorder. Tomorrow? Next month? This week? Any idea??? Nope. Sorry...ya want 10% off the $2100 model? We HAVE those....? Lady...I'm a teacher. I already get 10% off and sure as shit can barely afford what I'm already buying, let alone something that costs even MORE. And after this clusterfuck I might have to reconsider altogether...

Long story short? Don't trust ANYTHING you hear from the MS store. Neither the online one, the one over the phone, or the brick and mortar. Don't trust emails, don't trust phone calls. They have absolutely no idea what they are doing. The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing? Maybe more like The right hand isn't even sure left hands are a thing.

This of course doesn't even mention my best friend's Band 2 that was shipped from shanghai to america and back again LITERALLY 6 times before it finally made it to his house 2 weeks late. He returned it. He saw the incompetence as what it was and went out and bought an apple watch.

I'm sure my vitriol will subside if I get a call in the next couple days, but until then my vitriol is vibrant.

Wow does the MS online store need a lot of work.

Just texted with them and they are telling me that my i7 has been processed but I won't get a ship confirmation until the 23rd.

They won't even answer my question that "processed" doesn't mean "shipped".

The order, of course, still says "In process". Seriously doubt it will even ship on Monday. At this point I just assume they are lying to me like they are lying to lots of other people about these preorders.

Might just head over to BBuy and downgrade myself to an i5 and cancel the online order. I was already on the fence about spending the extra coin on the high end one. Rediculous...

OP
S

starstreak

If what they say is true about the i7, I would wait for the i7. It seems like its worth getting over the i5. But I'm still skeptical until I get mine and run tests on it myself. :)

If what they say is true about the i7, I would wait for the i7. It seems like its worth getting over the i5. But I'm still skeptical until I get mine and run tests on it myself. :)

Very happy with my i5/16GB/512GB myself and went that route for the power savings as the memory and new disk were of more importance to me.

Well I just went and got an i5 from Best Buy. Went to cancel my i7 order over MS online store text chat and they gave me the third degree, told me they couldn't cancel, questioning why I was cancelling, etc.

Ended up calling the phone number and the person there was much nicer and processed the cancellation right away... Moral of the story... always talk to a real person on the phone or in person...

Won't be ordering from MS's online store ever again.

Best Buy... now that was a much better experience and now I have until Jan. 15 to decide if I want to keep the i5 or upgrade back to the i7... but I think I'll keep this i5.