What's new

Anyone able to create hotspot on Surface Pro 3?

scottysize

That's exactly what you are doing, hiding the connection from your carrier so that they don't charge you tethering / hotspot fees. I've used this connection in the past. Might need an update to the app or to the SP3.

The unlimited plans are able to use USB tethering. At least that's how Verizon is. They charge $30 per month for WiFi tethering (which I pay), but USB tethering is free for us who are grandfathered in to use. However, I do see your point that if he's tethered to his phone via a USB cable and then trying to share out that connection using his SP, then yes, I agree, he's trying to circumvent the system.

Last edited:

double07

Would this be easier to connect your phone to the same WiFi your SP3 connected to? Why bother tether through SP3? Maybe I don't really understand the use case. I am only doing the other way around where my phone is a hot spot and I connect my SP3 via WiFi and it works great.

Maybe your provider has caught onto this trick and found a way to block it? If possible try it with your old laptop that it did work on to verify that it's still good.

scottysize

Would this be easier to connect your phone to the same WiFi your SP3 connected to? Why bother tether through SP3? Maybe I don't really understand the use case. I am only doing the other way around where my phone is a hot spot and I connect my SP3 via WiFi and it works great.

Like I said, it's free to tether via USB when you're grandfathered into to unlimited data, but it costs $30 per month for a hotspot on your phone.

What I'd like to know is who else needs data that he's trying to setup a hotspot from his SP3?

OP
strollin

strollin

Not who but what. I have more than 1 device that I wish to share data with when I'm traveling in my RV.

So far there's been lots of debate about what I'm doing but zero helpful answers. I guess the answer to my question is no, since apparently no one else has even tried this on the SP3.

This works fine on a 6 year old netbook running Win 8.1.1, fine on a 3 year old netbook running Win 7, fine on a less than 1 yr old laptop running Win 8.1.1 but doesn't work on my brand new SP3. I thought I could use the SP3 to replace the netbook or laptop I normally use for this but looks like it's not going to work.

Randy Bradley

I have also tried to use several different programs (mhotspot, virtual router) and even the command line to set up a virtual hotspot on my Surface 3 and none of them work. The two programs generate an error message telling me to turn on the WiFi and make for certain it is connected even though it is connected to the internet and appears to function properly. When I use the netsh process it also appears that the wireless card supports sharing, but i then get an error message saying it failed to start when again it is already running. I have used the same programs/process with other desktops and notebook computers without experiencing any problems. Also if I plug a USB wireless card into the Surface, those cards work just fine with the programs and netsh. I am NOT trying to get around paying any provider, but have a legitimate need for the virtual hotspot. Obviously I can use the external USB wireless, but I just think there has to be some other way since my other systems have no problem creating virtual hotspots. Any ideas would be appreciated.

graye

Ok, this is an old thread, but....

I think the problem you're having is a mix up in terminology. You don't need to "create a hot spot" on the Surface in order to use a USB-based tethered cell phone's data connection. In fact, the phone (via the USB port connection) typically just becomes a "modem" that appears as a network device in your Surface.

"Creating a hot spot" is all about using WiFi on either the phone or the Surface to share a connection. But you're doing neither... there is no WiFi at all in what you're trying to do. Instead, you are trying to use a USB-tether to your LG G2. Again, there is WiFi at all in this scenario... and therefore no "Hot spot" at all.

http://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Sma..._to_share_my_lg_g2_internet_connection_with_a

OP
strollin

strollin

graye - No mixup in terminology on my part. I know exactly what I want to do - share my USB connected LG G2's internet connection with other devices via the SP3's wifi. I can do this with other machines I own but it simply doesn't work on the SP3.

Matt

So to clarify, as reading this thread is so confusing...

You have an LG G2 smartphone with a data plan. You cannot use the built in wireless hotspot facility n this phone due to carrier restrictions. You still need to do this though to connect other devices to the internet (I am assuming apple or android WiFi only tables and windows laptops).

You therefore connect the LG G2 to the surface by USB and setup a USB tethered connection. The surface now has internet access through the data plan on the LG G2. The stumbling block is sharing that connection from the surface so the other devices can also access the internet through the data plan.

Is that correct?

graye

graye - No mixup in terminology on my part. I know exactly what I want to do - share my USB connected LG G2's internet connection with other devices via the SP3's wifi. I can do this with other machines I own but it simply doesn't work on the SP3.

Well, that's good to know... I understand now that you're talking about 3 devices (phone, surface, and some other WiFi enabled device).

So, just to clarify... the "phone to surface" part of the puzzle is working perfectly? ... and the trouble is solely with the "surface to 3rd device"?

If so, are you using just Window 8.1 built-in utilities (like what's found here: http://www.7tutorials.com/how-turn-your-windows-81-laptop-wifi-access-point) or are you using some 3rd party utility?

Last edited:
OP
strollin

strollin

Everything you are asking about has already been posted earlier in the thread.

In my very first post I stated that I had tried using the netsh commands (such as what you linked to) as well as 3rd party utilities such as Connectify and VirtualRouter.

I will repeat that I have used this same setup on several netbooks and several laptops without issue. Why it won't work with the SP3 is the issue.