What's new

Anyone able to create hotspot on Surface Pro 3?

Bandito

strollin,

I just tried to set up a virtual access point or hosted network on my SP3 and cannot get it to work, either. When I attempt to start the hosted network, I get the following messages:

The hosted network couldn't be started.
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I scoured the Internet and the only fix that's worked for some people is to uninstall and re-install the WiFi adapter. I tried this, also, with no success.

So, for the benefit of all, I made the dreaded call to Surface support to see what could be done. After the usual useless resets and other basic troubleshooting were needlessly completed, I was eventually transferred to a technician that knew what she was talking about. She tried to set up a hosted network on her SP3 and ran into the same error message. Nothing she could think of to try made any difference, so there appears to be some sort of compatibility issue with hosted networks and the SP3. I suspect it is a driver problem, but only time will tell.

She will be reporting the case to the next level of Surface support for their evaluation. I will keep everyone posted as I hear back from Microsoft about this issue. However, for now, it appears that we're dead in the water.

Matt

Great thanks for the update. Just out of curiosity were the previous devices you were using running 8.1? Just wondering if this is solely an sp3 issue or a windows os/update problem

Bandito

strollin,

Another follow up to your original post, which I just re-read.

According to what I've found in researching the problem, the error message that you are seeing is related to power management being disabled on the network adapter.

Supposedly, if you go into Device Manager and then the Properties of the WiFi adapter, then select the Power Management tab, and enable the checkbox to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power, that will fix the error message that you're seeing.

The only problem with that is that, on my SP3 at least, there is no Power Management tab on the Marvell AVASTAR WiFi adapter. Perhaps because it is the only network connect available on the system it isn't allowed to be powered off. Who knows?

If yours has the tab and the option is disabled, check it, reboot, and then see if your hosted network will start. Otherwise, you can wait with me for Microsoft to fix it.

Bandito

Matt,

I've only set up hosted networking on Windows 7 machines, but have read about people successfully using it on Windows 8. I did, however, run into a few comments that said that it no longer worked under Windows 8.1. It's hard to say if they are correct or not, as with all things on the Internet, so take it for what it's worth.

OP
strollin

strollin

Yes, I have setup hosted networking on Win 7, Win 8 and Win 8.1 machines. Only machine I've tried and have not been successful on is the SP3.

Bandito - Thanks for calling MS Tech support regarding this. I already found and looked into the Power Management tab thing.

Bandito

Okay, I just got off of the phone from a callback from MS Surface Support and here is what they told me about creating a virtual access point/hotspot with the Surface Pro 3.

Apparently, the new wireless network card and its drivers did not work well supporting the vap/hotspot, so the functionality was removed. This means that support for the feature could come back in a future update, but there is no guaranty that this will happen. As my main goal in using this feature was simply to share files between two machines, they recommended the use of TeamViewer or OneDrive in place of the vap/hotspot functionality.

Neither of these solutions will actually work for my specific situation, so I'm just out of luck for the time being. Neither of these solutions will share an internet connection, so you're also out of luck in this situation. Welcome to the club!

If you want to share your internet connection from your SP3, about the only thing that I can think of for you to do is to add a third-party USB WiFi adapter to your system. This should give you the functionality that you need.

In the meantime, I'd also suggest that you contact MS Surface Support regarding this issue to let them know that we need this feature to be fixed. Every time we contact them it will remind them that there are folks that actually depend on this functionality, so, hopefully, it will drive them to fix the problem.

I was really quite surprised that they were so candid and forthcoming about the real cause of the issue. I suspected that it was simply a driver issue, but didn't really think that MS would admit this. This means that they have accepted a driver for the release of one of their self-made/branded systems that does not meet their own specifications. I can only assume that they thought no one would notice this and that they could get away with it. For now, they've left the door open to fixing it, but I certainly won't be holding my breath waiting for the fix to arrive.

OP
strollin

strollin

That's good info Bandito, thanks.

For myself, I have decided that I will dedicate my Acer Aspire One netbook to be used as a wifi hotpsot and use my SP3 as a wifi client.