What's new

Anyone actually use the rear camera

BearFlag

The Surface Book has a 8.0 MP rear camera with 1080p HD video recording and I haven't used it once since owning the device.

The clipboard is too big to walk around taking pictures or recording videos. I just use my phone camera for that. Just wondering if anyone actually uses the rear camera.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
That would be useful. Not a student so I didn't think of that.

It'll be institution and subject dependent though. I know I've a surface and not surface book, but I'm a student going into my final year, and have never had to take a single photo at university, be it with surface or phone. For me absolutely everything course related is uploaded online for students to download (exams are the only thing handwritten) so there has never been a need.

Again, a surface, not surface book, but it's the same argument really, but my partner uses the camera on the sp3 a lot for taking a photo of a pencil sketch which she then imports into fresh paint.

Plantje

I have often asked myself the same question! :) And yes, for college students it may be useful.

In my work during meetings I make notes on my Surface. And ever since we moved to a new building we have screens where you can use OneNote to replace whiteboards, but hardly anyone understands the concept and uses it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It could be useful in a variety of industries... Insurance agent, takes picture of item or accident to integrate with a report or policy... easier if it's all on the same device.

Architect snaps a picture of a room with software that auto dimensions the room from the picture. etc. etc. Then proceeds to markup and annotate.

All depends on your needs and opportunities for tight integration with other software.

No, you wouldn't use it for casual snapshots at a party ;-) well you might but you'd probably take a lot of ribbing.

Plantje

In the cases you mention, I take a picture using my phone and OneDrive makes sure I've got it almost instantly on my Surface 3, my desktop etc etc.

A few weeks ago I went to Formula 1 in Spa (Belgium) and yes...there are still loads of people taking pictures and videos with their iPads....strange...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the cases you mention, I take a picture using my phone and OneDrive makes sure I've got it almost instantly on my Surface 3, my desktop etc etc.

A few weeks ago I went to Formula 1 in Spa (Belgium) and yes...there are still loads of people taking pictures and videos with their iPads....strange...
I hear ya, but if I'm running a business and supplying the solution I would opt for integrated over separate devices even if it's likely you have both anyway. Sure Onedrive syncs... or sinks... but it adds complexity and another point of failure.

Plantje

I hear ya, but if I'm running a business and supplying the solution I would opt for integrated over separate devices even if it's likely you have both anyway. Sure Onedrive syncs... or sinks... but it adds complexity and another point of failure.
Don't get me wrong: I'm happy the camera is there! But personally I prefer making pictures with my phone. Even if I want to use them on my Surface

bamaster

Don't get me wrong: I'm happy the camera is there! But personally I prefer making pictures with my phone. Even if I want to use them on my Surface

I feel exactly the same. My Galaxy S7 takes fantastic photos. Even of whiteboards.

Front camera? Critical for video capture, no question. Rear camera? Nice to have, not critical for me.