What's new

Anyone else have no interest in upgrading their SP3 to Win 10?

BillJ

Count me as one of the fence-sitters as well. I have Win10 loaded on an HP Specter, and I can see how well it performs there. On my SP3, however, I prefer to use the touch commands with which I have become familiar with 8.1. I am sorry, but "Continuum" just is not as fluid as 8.1 IMHO...
On the other hand, there is nothing I "can't" do with Win10 that I can do with 8.1; it is just "different". It is curious how easily one can become dependent on a particular way of doing things; when there is an alternative, just being "different" is perceived as being "bad" (perhaps this is the case with all things in life)
So the question for me will be: at what point do the functional improvements in Win10 overcome the energy needed to change my approach to operating a touch screen?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's what the slow ring is for. If it runs on 8.1 it will run on release 10130 which is where the slow ring is now.

Slow ring is now also on 10162 is it not? I thought MS only posted the slow ring ISO files on it's site.

leeshor

No, no, no. If you upgraded using the insider site, and set your windows 10 to slow ring it would still be on 10130 which is as stable as it can be. Slow and fast rings were on 10130 for a time but the slow ring has been on 130 for a while.

The last upgrade I did through the insider site installed 10074 then upgraded to 10130.

TheJokker

I don't get it. I have Windows 8 on my SP3, a work laptop (touch) and my work desktop (not touch). I have Windows 7 on my home desktop and laptop. On one level the two o/s are very different (visually) but on another level the differences are totally superficial. It literally took me less than 15 minutes to teach my mom's sewing club how to use Windows 8 with their high tech sewing machines. If a bunch of 70 and 80 year old blue haired ladies can adapt quickly and easily to Windows 8 than there is no excuse for anybody. I think most people who hate Windows 8 are simply too stubborn, hard-headed, and close minded to understand how simple it really is.

If you are foaming at the mouth over Windows 8 than you really need to take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror. The problem you have that is preventing you from adapting is "probably" holding you back in other areas of your life.

That being said I'll probably install it on one of my work computers in order to understand how our companies programs will perform in order to prepare for the eventual migration. I'm thinking I will probably upgrade my personal computers when convenient mostly for the slight performance boost over Windows 7 and because it's time for a hardware upgrade to my home desktop and I'd rather do everything all at once and get it over with.

Basically I regard Windows7/8/10 as no big deal except for my SP3 because it's my favorite. I'll probably leave it alone and hand it down to my younger brother and get a SP4 (when available) with will come with Windows 10.

malberttoo

I don't get it. I have Windows 8 on my SP3, a work laptop (touch) and my work desktop (not touch). I have Windows 7 on my home desktop and laptop. On one level the two o/s are very different (visually) but on another level the differences are totally superficial. It literally took me less than 15 minutes to teach my mom's sewing club how to use Windows 8 with their high tech sewing machines. If a bunch of 70 and 80 year old blue haired ladies can adapt quickly and easily to Windows 8 than there is no excuse for anybody. I think most people who hate Windows 8 are simply too stubborn, hard-headed, and close minded to understand how simple it really is.

If you are foaming at the mouth over Windows 8 than you really need to take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror. The problem you have that is preventing you from adapting is "probably" holding you back in other areas of your life.

That being said I'll probably install it on one of my work computers in order to understand how our companies programs will perform in order to prepare for the eventual migration. I'm thinking I will probably upgrade my personal computers when convenient mostly for the slight performance boost over Windows 7 and because it's time for a hardware upgrade to my home desktop and I'd rather do everything all at once and get it over with.

Basically I regard Windows7/8/10 as no big deal except for my SP3 because it's my favorite. I'll probably leave it alone and hand it down to my younger brother and get a SP4 (when available) with will come with Windows 10.

Not that I disagree with your post, but teaching some little old ladies to "click here, then click here and see, now your app opens up" is hardly an example of anyone adapting quickly and easily to Windows 8. You could have taught them the same thing on an iPad, iPhone, Linux, Mac, etc.

Compusmurf

Teaching a handful of folks or home users is one thing, try to teach 90,000 users at a corporation. Heck, just changing browser versions raises 10000 help desk calls....

mtalinm

dunno...after a couple of weeks with 10162 on my s3 i reverted to 8.1, which imho is designed for "touch first" whereas win10 seem to be "desktop first."

what bothered me most was the browser. sure, Edge is nice, but it is designed to be used with a mouse. no swipe-left to go back? you have to hit the back button at the top of the screen. all of the tab work is up there too. ditto for refresh. whereas the win8 browser interaction model is simply beautiful: fullscreen and swipe up to get at tabs or refresh. swipe left and right to move back and forward. it is so elegant.

I'm sure they will get lazy at updating 8.1 -- the Mail app has already been mothballed, apparently -- so at some later date I may switch. but probably not unless I go back to a laptop.

malberttoo

dunno...after a couple of weeks with 10162 on my s3 i reverted to 8.1, which imho is designed for "touch first" whereas win10 seem to be "desktop first."

what bothered me most was the browser. sure, Edge is nice, but it is designed to be used with a mouse. no swipe-left to go back? you have to hit the back button at the top of the screen. all of the tab work is up there too. ditto for refresh. whereas the win8 browser interaction model is simply beautiful: fullscreen and swipe up to get at tabs or refresh. swipe left and right to move back and forward. it is so elegant.

I'm sure they will get lazy at updating 8.1 -- the Mail app has already been mothballed, apparently -- so at some later date I may switch. but probably not unless I go back to a laptop.

No longer being able to swipe back in the browser is seriously annoying me as well.

Kris

No extensions is a deal breaker for me, used edge for about 5 minutes and ditched it for the all hated Chrome battery eater, it and Firefox... Turned off all of Chrome's background operations and it works just fine. MS has never made a browser worth mentioning IMHO. Didn't the government warn people not to use IE at one point? Windows 10 works great for me, no keyboard or mouse just good old touch screen. Windows 10 also banished the nightmare of Windows 8.1 MUI apps for me, I know they are still there but the whole OS isn't designed around them. Now if we could only get rid of, or fix, those ugly, waste of space, tiles...

malberttoo

No extensions is a deal breaker for me, used edge for about 5 minutes and ditched it for the all hated Chrome battery eater, it and Firefox... Turned off all of Chrome's background operations and it works just fine. MS has never made a browser worth mentioning IMHO. Didn't the government warn people not to use IE at one point? Windows 10 works great for me, no keyboard or mouse just good old touch screen. Windows 10 also banished the nightmare of Windows 8.1 MUI apps for me, I know they are still there but the whole OS isn't designed around them. Now if we could only get rid of, or fix, those ugly, waste of space, tiles...

Edge is supposed to support extensions soon. But yeah same for me, gave it a quick 2-minute look under the hood and never went back. At the very least I require AdBlock Plus (in Chrome) or adding the Easy List to Tracking Protection (in IE), and Edge can do neither at the moment.