What's new

Anyone else noticing some odd SP behavior of late?

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Yes I'm seeing entropy take over the device. The latest firmware upgrade said it failed but I thought it installed. My mouse freezes still, and it does feel more sluggish. It is unfortunate since this is an all Microsoft device for some reason I expected better and thought that MS would have wanted to take pride in a flawless user experience. I guess the lesson here is the Surface Pro is just another PC and it is still running Windows and all its bugs and baggage.

Feels like memory leak. I'm running 30% of available ram doing absolutely nothing. That seems high I guess.

Advanced System Care 6 has a free memory cleaner that seems to work well. Things get sluggish and I just run a quick memory wipe. Seems to help.

tonyz3

I hate to say it but mine is running smooth. I did recently run sfc scan now which is supposed to clean up allot I of issues left behind from failed updates. did not have any of those but I had some sluggishness after uninstalling that revive program. Also I noticed my screen was not responding coming out of sleep right after installing that new Wacom driver so I uninstalled it and everything was back to normal. Any of you have the new driver you might want to try rolling it back. Start with the sfc.. scan now. How To Use SFC Scannow to Repair Windows System Files

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I never realized how often my SP was dropping wifi connection until I tried playing some online poker. I must have disconnected 10 times in an hour. Weird part is that my wifi icon never showed a disconnect so something weird is happening.

Russ

I must have disconnected 10 times in an hour.

Mitchell --

Have you ever considered that it could just be that God hates you? Sounds improbable, I know, but it could be.

My Pro is continuously on my Wi-Fi connection, and the only times it ever loses connection is when a passing thunderstorm takes down my whole DSL connection. Tempting as it may be to blame the Pro for that, it does kinda fly in the face of reality.

Be well,
Russ

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Mitchell --

Have you ever considered that it could just be that God hates you? Sounds improbable, I know, but it could be.

My Pro is continuously on my Wi-Fi connection, and the only times it ever loses connection is when a passing thunderstorm takes down my whole DSL connection. Tempting as it may be to blame the Pro for that, it does kinda fly in the face of reality.

Be well,
Russ

I think it's more likely that since God made me so damned good looking nature is trying to find a balance. In your case the fact that your Surface Pro works perfectly is to be expected.

** P.S., You are aware the SP is known for dropping wifi connection, right? It's an established bug.

Last edited:

Nuspieds

No strange behavior to report here.

I started off with the Wedge mouse and now I use the Magic Mouse. Since the beginning I've had problems with the mice losing their Bluetooth connection, leaving my pointer stuck on the screen. Turning the mouse off then on again has always solved the problem.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Ran SFC /Scannow and still can't get the:

Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2836988)

to run without failing at 12%. Who knows.

Russ

I think it's more likely that since God made me so damned good looking nature is trying to find a balance. In your case the fact that your Surface Pro works perfectly is to be expected.

** P.S., You are aware the SP is known for dropping wifi connection, right?

Well, Mitchell, given that my resting heart rate is considerably below my age, I think maybe I got the better deal.

re: "You are aware the SP is known for dropping wifi connection, right?"

How could I not be? You manage to post something about it on a predictably regular basis. Yours, apparently, does. Mine, assuredly, does not. There could be a greater message therein, but it is not for me to speculate. I have been using the Pro almost all day for the last three days, and it has not dropped a wi-fi connection, other than the aforementioned thunderstorms. Ya think, maybe, the thunderstorms are Nature's way of providing a little balance in my life? If so, how do I explain that to my neighbors, since their DSL goes down along with mine? We are such a close little community here that I would hate to be shunned and ostracized.

RALAerial11a.jpg

Take care,
Russ

tonyz3

Ran SFC /Scannow and still can't get the:

Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2836988)

to run without failing at 12%. Who knows.
. Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 update rollup: May 2013 on the 14th when this update came out i tried to download them all at once and they failed. i restarted the SPunplugged everything out of the SP than redid them again and they went thru. try unplugging everything. I know you are like me and have a bunch of stuff plugged into the SP .. It is worth a shot.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Well, Mitchell, given that my resting heart rate is considerably below my age, I think maybe I got the better deal.

re: "You are aware the SP is known for dropping wifi connection, right?"

How could I not be? You manage to post something about it on a predictably regular basis. Yours, apparently, does. Mine, assuredly, does not. There could be a greater message therein, but it is not for me to speculate. I have been using the Pro almost all day for the last three days, and it has not dropped a wi-fi connection, other than the aforementioned thunderstorms. Ya think, maybe, the thunderstorms are Nature's way of providing a little balance in my life? If so, how do I explain that to my neighbors, since their DSL goes down along with mine? We are such a close little community here that I would hate to be shunned and ostracized.

View attachment 779

Take care,
Russ

Lol, interesting observations considering this is the FIRST time I have ever mentioned dropping wifi connections anywhere in this forum. Apparently you feel I mention it constantly. Must be your alternate reality slipping through into real life again.

Nevertheless, inconsistent wifi reception is a well-established Surface Pro bug. Recent updates were supposed to address it and sadly did not. Maybe the fact you are using a prehistoric DSL connection is the reason yours does not drop? It acts like packet loss to me rather than actual connection drop. Since the dataflow on a cable connection is so much faster than snail DSL it would make sense that you would not be experiencing problems while someone with a modern system like myself does.

Perhaps the issue is that the Surface Pro wifi drivers cannot keep up with true high speed data flow? Or it could be interference. There are always unintended consequences of jamming so much tech into a small space.