What's new

Anyone else think the screen isn't the greatest

undednubz

I use my surface 99% of the time at the school library. The library has many windows which equals a lot of natural light. I have found the screen is very hard to see even at full brightness due to the natural light. Seems like it has a lot of glare. Anyone else feel the same about this? I did calibrate my display and moved the Red slider down a touch and this helped a little bit but it's still hard to see.

Ty

wynand32

It's definitely very glossy. I'd say that it's not the best nor the worst in terms of viewing in bright lighting. For kicks, I put my SP3 side-by-side with my Nexus 10 tablet at noon on a clear day here in SoCal (so, as bright as it's going to be), and they were about equally visible (or, non-visible). Screens either have to be matte (I wish!) or super-high-brightness to perform any better in these conditions.

The best I've used was my ASUS TF201 Transformer, which had a super-bright mode specifically for outdoor use. It was definitely more visible, but it also burned the battery like nobody's business and it got really, really hot. So, it was pretty much unusable even though more visible.

I do wish the SP3 was matte and thus more visible. But that just doesn't seem to be the way the market has been going for some time now.

You might want to take a look at the Illumishield Matte HD screenprotector, so far I have found it quite excellent for antiglare. I posted a youtube video review of it up, just search Illumishield Matte HD for Surface Pro 3

wynand32

You might want to take a look at the Illumishield Matte HD screenprotector, so far I have found it quite excellent for antiglare. I posted a youtube video review of it up, just search Illumishield Matte HD for Surface Pro 3

Yep, I saw that thread, thanks. Waiting for your longer-term update to give it a try. :)

Geneo

I have an anti-glare screen protector, but I haven't installed is because I'm indoors all the time and don't need it. They're all horrible outside- my iPad was unusable. Anytime you have glossy glass and screen brightness less than the ambient light you're gonna have problems no matter what computer you have.

I love the screen, I just wish it was 1-2 inches bigger.

wynand32

I had a very weird thing happen last night. I was using my SP3, and suddenly the colors seemed to shift and whites became slightly yellowish. Happened right in front of my eyes, and I didn't shift or otherwise change lighting. I'm now trying to evaluate if this was a one-time thing or if something went wonky with mine.

Never saw anything like this before--I've had warmer and colder screens that were more yellowish or bluish, but I've never seen a screen shift color temp like I think I saw mine do. If it persists, it'll be going back and getting replaced.

I'm becoming more and more relieved that I purchased Microsoft Complete with this thing, just to make any future swaps easier. I have a very strong feeling that we'll see new lots produced eventually that resolve a number of hardware issues.