What's new

Anyone got the new Win 10 update on (creators) - how does it run?

HeavyHanded

I updated my S3 128GB to Creator's Update. I didn't seek it out, but I got sent an update notice. Everything seemed fine. However, now that I am almost finished with my Master Thesis, I decided to do some sketching in Sketchbook Book Pro. The pen can no longer draw circles and contact is very intermittent. I tried Clip Studio Paint and Sketchable and Fresh Paint. All the same. I rebooted mulitple times as well. Stay away from Creator's update if you are an artist or dabbler in art.

kristalsoldier

Its an X5-8300 this MS Store has them for $70 occasionally (normally $150), I picked up a couple of them...

Buy NuVision TM800W610L Signature Edition Tablet - Microsoft Store

Interesting! Is this a 3:2 AR or 16:9? And, the battery life? Does it support the use of the Pen?

Lastly, what W10 tablets are there (or immediately forthcoming) which are comparable to the S3? My unit is probably on its last legs. The screen is yellowing horribly and there are these galaxies of small white dots which are clustered in the middle of the screen. I really need a replacement and I don't think my current location will make getting a refurb S3 from the MS (US) store convenient.

So, options?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting! Is this a 3:2 AR or 16:9? And, the battery life? Does it support the use of the Pen?

Lastly, what W10 tablets are there (or immediately forthcoming) which are comparable to the S3? My unit is probably on its last legs. The screen is yellowing horribly and there are these galaxies of small white dots which are clustered in the middle of the screen. I really need a replacement and I don't think my current location will make getting a refurb S3 from the MS (US) store convenient.

So, options?

Might pay to wait to see if the surface 4 rumours come true.

I can report, for a fact, that the 'creators' version of W10 does NOT recognise our TP-LINK modem, whereas prior to the upgrade the modem worked like a charm. We have had to revert to an older (Telstra) locked modem which after a bit of fiddling and manipulating, got us back on line, albeit a lot slower than before.

With the tablet, it seems to 'hesitate' on pages, Firefox tends to lock-up on an irregular occasions, the pen is totally useless, and due to the modem changeover, downloads are a lot slower than before.

kristalsoldier

There is one other thing I noticed - but this seems to affect the S3 only and not my SP4. Some of the tiles - and it is always the same ones - seem to lose everything on it - no logo - no info (relating to the app) - just nothing. Some of then guilty parties were: Skype, Mail, Nebo, Readit, Tweetium. When I shut down and restart, the info comes back and then again it disappears. Happened after the CU.

Edit: Attached pic of what's happening.

Attachments

• IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 498
Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Thanks!

Edit: This Samsung Galaxy 10.6 looks quite good to use as a pure tablet. I wonder how the Android version of it would be like - especially the inking side of things.

Edit 2: "Measured by the single-core Geekbench score, the 7th gen. Intel Core m3-7Y30 “Kaby Lake” powered Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6 is 160% faster than the Surface 3, and 175% faster than the Asus Transformer Mini." While this sounds good and everything, the two of the main issues with the S3 are the charging port (which redefines what it means "to suck") and the eMMC which is slow (to be expected) I hope are fixed by in this Galaxy 10.6.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks!

Edit: This Samsung Galaxy 10.6 looks quite good to use as a pure tablet. I wonder how the Android version of it would be like - especially the inking side of things.

Edit 2: "Measured by the single-core Geekbench score, the 7th gen. Intel Core m3-7Y30 “Kaby Lake” powered Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6 is 160% faster than the Surface 3, and 175% faster than the Asus Transformer Mini." While this sounds good and everything, the two of the main issues with the S3 are the charging port (which redefines what it means "to suck") and the eMMC which is slow (to be expected) I hope are fixed by in this Galaxy 10.6.

I believe the GB 10.6 uses USB-C for charging and supports fast charging too. it's still eMMC storage but hopefully the 5 or 5.1 version so it would be somewhat faster. I think the in depth reviews should be arriving any day now... since it will be generally available on May 21st (somewhere) :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

So, options?
Sadly no active pen support, it is 1920x1200 resolution though...the 10" version supports a pen

Turbo4AWD

I can report, for a fact, that the 'creators' version of W10 does NOT recognise our TP-LINK modem, whereas prior to the upgrade the modem worked like a charm. We have had to revert to an older (Telstra) locked modem which after a bit of fiddling and manipulating, got us back on line, albeit a lot slower than before.

With the tablet, it seems to 'hesitate' on pages, Firefox tends to lock-up on an irregular occasions, the pen is totally useless, and due to the modem changeover, downloads are a lot slower than before.

Virtually zero issues here with my TP Link wifi router. Works perfectly except when an Android phone comes into the house, then the 5ghz gives up and only 2.4ghz wifi works until I reboot the TP Link.

I did notice wifi issues at first after updating to CU, but those issues went away and it works now perfectly until the Android phone comes into range of the wifi, then within 24-48hrs the 5ghz wifi goes down again. #GoddamnAndroidPhonesKilling5GhzWifi

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last edited: