What's new

anyone having problems coming out of sleep?

foghat

Hi all,

I know there were some early reports (pre June 20) of the surface not powering up after going to or being put to sleep. This was acknowledged by MS and I thought this issue was to be fixed by June 20.

Almost one week in and this has happened to me about 4 times now. Have to a hard reboot (volume up + power for 15 seconds) to get it back on. All system updates were applied on day 1.

Anyone else having this issue?

puma

yup me. But I don't have to do the key combo.. I just press and hold the power til it shuts down.

atoms83

I had mine with me at school yesterday. I took handwritten notes for about 2 hours. Class ended and I walked downstairs to a commons area and opened up the tablet to find it would even wake from sleep. Pen wouldn't work either. Finally after pressing the power button over and over again, I pressed it down and held it for 10 or so seconds and had to reboot the system. So far that's the worse experience I had and it is pretty annoying. My ASUS T100 works flawlessly all the time. I'm confident though that Microsoft will fix this issue.

ZachBui

same problem, out of sleep, sometimes I can't get a response from my keyboard, or sometimes lock screen gets buggy

mcsenerd

Yep... Ditto here. Just got home from a 5 hour drive coming back from Wichita, KS and when I got home and tried to wake the Surface it would not recognize the keyboard at all. Even after detaching and reattaching, nothing... Then, when I tried to restart the SP3, it just hung on "Restarting" and I was forced to hold the power button down until it powered off completely. Once I turned it back on it seemed to be working fine again.

tuchas

Yep... Ditto here. Just got home from a 5 hour drive coming back from Wichita, KS and when I got home and tried to wake the Surface it would not recognize the keyboard at all. Even after detaching and reattaching, nothing... Then, when I tried to restart the SP3, it just hung on "Restarting" and I was forced to hold the power button down until it powered off completely. Once I turned it back on it seemed to be working fine again.

I have been having this problem rather frequently. My SP3 was on AC power as well during the night and sleeping. Woke it up this morning and the attached type cover 3 would no longer work, tried detaching and reattaching to no avail, and when I hit restart the table hung on "Restarting". Had to hold the power button down to get the thing going again. All is good after the reboot, but I should not have to reboot at all.

Look I know this thing is new, but these kinds of issues were present in the old SP1 I had and I did not expect this to be replicated in a third-generation product. I am going to be using this thing for work so it had better function without these problems. Not planning on returning it, but I am frustrated with Microsoft.

mcsenerd

...Look I know this thing is new, but these kinds of issues were present in the old SP1 I had and I did not expect this to be replicated in a third-generation product. I am going to be using this thing for work so it had better function without these problems. Not planning on returning it, but I am frustrated with Microsoft.

I'm right there with you. I really don't understand the apologists here. This is not acceptable especially with such an aggressive stance on the product out of the gate. Do they not have any "lessons learned" capabilities there in Redmond? I'm not necessarily ditching the SP3, but it is certainly very disappointing that with their third iteration of the product that they continue to repeatedly face many of the same issues. Why in the flip can they not come up with a better wireless solution than this POS Marvell crap which I personally feel has been the bane of many of their issues with these products. Do they not know how to put REAL pressure on those guys? Is it really the ONLY solution that works with their design? If that's the case... it's almost a design killer right there.

tuchas

I'm right there with you. I really don't understand the apologists here. This is not acceptable especially with such an aggressive stance on the product out of the gate. Do they not have any "lessons learned" capabilities there in Redmond? I'm not necessarily ditching the SP3, but it is certainly very disappointing that with their third iteration of the product that they continue to repeatedly face many of the same issues. Why in the flip can they not come up with a better wireless solution than this POS Marvell crap which I personally feel has been the bane of many of their issues with these products. Do they not know how to put REAL pressure on those guys? Is it really the ONLY solution that works with their design? If that's the case... it's almost a design killer right there.

As a technology fanatic, I have an appreciation for all types of tablets - iPad, Android and Windows. I have heard people in these forums state that problems plague iPads as well. True, but when it comes with the type and volume of issues that all devices have, I beg to differ. While there have been issues with some of the iPad models (as well as Macs), those issues are minor in comparison to these clunkers. Frankly I am pissed. Since I wrote my last comment on this issue at 1:27 this afternoon, I've had to reboot my SP3 three times. I had similar issues with the SP1. Back then people were telling me to just go to the MS store and get another one, which I did. And the same problems persisted. It took 3 months for MS to resolve these issues via a firmware update, but it was resolved. Now with this new Surface, a tablet/ultrabook that is being highly promoted as better than a MacBook Air, the same darn issue has popped up, along with others - wifi, power, etc. This is unacceptable.

mcsenerd

I don't really "know" what the volume of issues are, as I don't try to get a "true" feel for the propensity of issues from forum posts. That being said however, I do feel that these issues are quite common. I'm not really much help because I just don't have the patience to deal with support centers. Even the most helpful support folks are frustrating for me. In all of my career, I've strived like hell to avoid the dreaded support call with every ounce of energy in my being because I know of almost no other more soul draining exercise in existence excepting maybe for dealing with insurance companies, mortgage underwriting, or trying to clear credit discrepancies :)

These issues are disheartening, and I'm sure they'll "straighten" them out for the most part "eventually", but part of my issue is why wait for a Patch Tuesday to do it? If they've got a fix or they think they've got a fix... stuff like this should be rolled out as soon as expeditiously possible.

ipaq_101

I agree, my frustration is beginning to rise. I guess at first I didn't use it enough, but as I am using it more and more as a daily driver, the sleep issues, wifi, etc. are getting annoying.

Hoping for a firmware update soon.

tuchas

This morning I opened up my type cover and my SP3 woke up just fine. It was not plugged in. Went to open OneNote with my pen button and there was no response. Checked Bluetooth and it was not connecting. So I tried to restart and once again, the device hung at restart.

Frustration does not begin to describe how I feel now.

ipaq_101

I read somewhere that pressing the power button and the volume up button does a reset.

Does anyone know what kind of reset? Does it go back to factory settings? Not sure what the reset means.