What's new

anyone having problems coming out of sleep?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Hard Reset is more akin to a Smartphone, under Windows 8.x the kernel level system (session 0) hibernates rather then going into a cleared state (like Windows 7 or earlier) for faster reboots, the act of booting into UEFI clears this Session 0 Hibernation State....

ipaq_101

The Hard Reset is more akin to a Smartphone, under Windows 8.x the kernel level system (session 0) hibernates rather then going into a cleared state (like Windows 7 or earlier) for faster reboots, the act of booting into UEFI clears this Session 0 Hibernation State....

I see, so it's like clearing the cache or a similar reboot.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Warning: Off-topic but related and funny

My son was having problems coming out of sleep:

Lazy Teen vs Overly Ambitions Father

Was reminded recently of something I did several years ago when my eldest son was age 15. He just could not get up in the morning for school. Alarm clocks did not work. Even if he didn't merely turn the alarm off before morning, and it sounded, beeps just weren't loud enough. We tried a few clocks, but he still would oversleep. His mom and I were desperate for a solution that would get him up.

So I rigged up an old school bell / fire alarm bell from the local flea market to a simple lamp timer. (Remember when schools had those bells?). After dialing in the time to wake up, I placed the setup in the attic right above his bed. Didn't tell him about it beforehand. This worked perfectly. Woke up schoolmates in the neighborhood too. Some positive peer pressure ensued. Only needed it for two nights. After that, a simple clock radio with a beep-beep-beep was sufficient. The rig remained on a garage shelf as a reminder, should habits revert, or his kids have the same challenge someday.

Brings lots of laughs now. This might be a handy tip for someone out there.

alarm_rig.jpg

Last edited: