What's new

Anyone planning on trying Windows 10 Preview tomorrow?

lparsons21

Since all my computers other than the desktop are toys, I downloaded and installed W10 on my SP (1st gen).

Download took a bit of time, but overall download and install was about an hour. Not bad at all.

I like most of what I'm seeing, but the following are not so good imo.

1. Swiping up from the bottom doesn't pull up app commands. Now you must touch/click on 3-dots at the top left of the screen in order to get to them.

2. No 'net activity is shown in any app I've tried so far. (the horizontally scrolling dots). I very much don't like that.

Both issues reported in feedback.

GTiceman

I'm running windows 10 on the sp3 via vmware at the moment, works just fine.

I installed in VMWare Player and seems fairly stable, though the resolutions it gave me there were weird. the pen worked as a pointer and couldn't pair it as it is paired with the main system.

mcsenerd

I've got it running on my SP2 and it installed without a hitch. Defaulted to the new style Start Menu and not the Start Screen...ok. One thing that kinda shocked me is that after pairing the Magic Mouse with the SP2 (hey...it was lying in a drawer collecting dust so I figured I'd at least put it to a somewhat good use), the entire dang thing worked! No need to install Apple's drivers or anything. Even all of the touch sensitive functions worked out of the box!

snd_fx

I've got it running on my SP2 and it installed without a hitch. Defaulted to the new style Start Menu and not the Start Screen...ok. One thing that kinda shocked me is that after pairing the Magic Mouse with the SP2 (hey...it was lying in a drawer collecting dust so I figured I'd at least put it to a somewhat good use), the entire dang thing worked! No need to install Apple's drivers or anything. Even all of the touch sensitive functions worked out of the box!
Thats good to hear

Adam_ation

I've installed Windows 10 straight onto my SP3, Its running like a dream and i can honestly say I am really liking what I am seeing. The feedback tool is brilliant, easy to use and a fantastic way of involving the people ideas into the development process - Adam

GTiceman

I've installed Windows 10 straight onto my SP3, Its running like a dream and i can honestly say I am really liking what I am seeing. The feedback tool is brilliant, easy to use and a fantastic way of involving the people ideas into the development process - Adam

I think I am about to delete my VM and go all in

Seneleron

Installed on primary partition. Upgrade install went off without a hitch.

My only disappointment is that the SP3 still has the separate modernUI, whereas my desktop has the start menu. For the record, I've hated the start menu since it's inception, but the live tiles make it a completely different beast! Now to figure out how to make my SP3 look like my desktop until they add "Continuum mode"

[Continuum? I sense a Q in there somewhere >.> ]

Edit: Found it: Right click on the taskbar, select "Properties" then select the "Start menu" tab.

JIC anyone is interested...

Last edited:

Adam_ation

I think I am about to delete my VM and go all in

DO IT!

Installed on primary partition. Upgrade install went off without a hitch.

My only disappointment is that the SP3 still has the separate modernUI, whereas my desktop has the start menu. For the record, I've hated the start menu since it's inception, but the live tiles make it a completely different beast! Now to figure out how to make my SP3 look like my desktop until they add "Continuum mode"

[Continuum? I sense a Q in there somewhere >.> ]

Right Click > Personalize > Taskbar and Navigation

wynand32

Huh. So, those who installed straight to your SP3 (primary partition or dual boot, not to a VM), did your network and other drivers install? On mine, dual boot, they didn't, so no WiFi and therefore no Microsoft account (installed with a local account).

GTiceman

Took the plunge, so good so far. Primary partition, no dual boot, MS account.

Anyone get the pen buttons to work properly? My top button doesn't seem to be.

Last edited:

Adam_ation

Huh. So, those who installed straight to your SP3 (primary partition or dual boot, not to a VM), did your network and other drivers install? On mine, dual boot, they didn't, so no WiFi and therefore no Microsoft account (installed with a local account).

Did you tell it to save your settings and stuff before you installed? My install literally just installed Windows10, everything else was exactly how it was - Adam