What's new

Anyone use their SP3 and Note as their daily notepad?

zhenya

I go back and forth. For simple notes and much of the writing I do I prefer the Metro version for its simplicity and easier access to the most commonly used pen tools. The program is, however, extremely limited compared to the full version. The Metro version also can only open notes stored on OneDrive unless something has changed that I'm not aware of.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
In Windows 10 Build 9879 there is a GDI Bug that causes loss of inking (ink disappears while taking notes) in the Desktop Version, so I use the desktop version as a management interface and take my notes in the MUI version. I also find the inking engine under WinRT is much better than the Office Ink Engine.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
In Windows 10 Build 9879 there is a GDI Bug that causes loss of inking (ink disappears while taking notes) in the Desktop Version, so I use the desktop version as a management interface and take my notes in the MUI version. I also find the inking engine under WinRT is much better than the Office Ink Engine.

I've been fortunate enough not to have had much of any issues with the GDI bug. When i do encounter it, at worst i lose a couple of words.

In what way do you find RT inking better? Is it a noticeable observation, or just statistically better?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've been fortunate enough not to have had much of any issues with the GDI bug. When i do encounter it, at worst i lose a couple of words.

In what way do you find RT inking better? Is it a noticeable observation, or just statistically better?
WinRT's (the API Set not OS) Ink Engine is smoother and more consistent than the Office Ink Engine, more fluid and it experiences less vectoring.

Are there different inking engines in 8.1 as well, or is this new to 10?

This is one of the biggest issues Microsoft has had, Windows has an ink API, Office has an ink API and WinRT has an ink API all a bot different. Office is moving to use the Windows Ink API in their next release, so that will leave a Win32 Ink API and a WinRT Ink API....eventually....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
So which API am I using in the Touch OneNote on the SP3?
If by Touch you are referring to the MUI version of OneNote (formally OneNote MX) you are using the WinRT version of the Ink API...it also the one Drawboard, FreshPaint, Bamboo Paper use....

TeknoBlast

For those using OneNote, do you guys prefer taking notes on the regular Windows version or the Metro version?

I guess it depends on the situation. I mainly use the desktop version since I'm always sitting in front of a computer that has access to my OneNote. If I'm on the go, then I use it on my Windows Phone.

Sven

While I am starting to get used to the pen + OneNote combo for taking notes (either using the Metro app or Desktop app) I still find I revert to (extremely fast) touch typing with the typecover.

Anybody else do this ?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
While I am starting to get used to the pen + OneNote combo for taking notes (either using the Metro app or Desktop app) I still find I revert to (extremely fast) touch typing with the typecover.

Anybody else do this ?

Nope. I have a much higher information retention rate when writing, and then reading my own notes, than typing and reading typed text. Keyboard is for assignments, pen is for learning. I guess it depends on the nature of the notes you are taking.

ruinah

I use the SP3 every day all day. I bought it at work to use as a replacement for an ancient laptop. I do a lot of server room and router work from time to time and I've found this to be perfect for that. For note taking I use One Note exclusively now. I take the SP3 to every meeting, keep One Note open all day and have a notebook shared with my team so they can update projects and tasks that I lay out. I use it as a tablet when at home for watching movies, surfing, reading books, etc. There really isn't a need for a desktop for me anymore or any sort of tablet. I was a huge Evernote guy before I tried One Note with the pen and now I am a convert.

kips

I use OneNote instead of paper now for pretty everything, but there's one niggle with it that stops me thinking it is a perfect replacement. I was wondering if anyone else had this niggle, or whether it is an idiosyncrasy with my version/set-up.

So I use the desktop version only. If I haven't been using a mouse - i.e. one isn't registered with Windows - I can "pinch and zoom" round the paper, but also scroll round by dragging round the screen. But if I have been using a mouse I can't scroll around by touching the screen, I have to use the mouse. I can't even drag the scrollbars along with my finger, though I can with the nib of the pen.

I can get by using "pinch and zoom" to navigate around a page, by zooming out, say from the bottom of the page, then zooming into to the top, but it's not great. Worst of all though, once I've written to the bottom of the visible page I can't move the page down a little to carry on writing.

Is this common behaviour?