What's new

Apps Arrow Square

Opahujo

Apps Arrow Square (I don't know what else to call it. *Please see description below.)

After downloading Windows 8.1 on my Surface Pro Tablet, I now always see a square window* on the left margin of the screen after I click on any App, including the camera. The square obscures part of the what the camera sees. The square also remains after I leave the App and it obscures part of the Keyboard when it's up and parts of all other pages (including Web Pages).

The only way that I can get rid of the square is to restart the tablet. This is very annoying and clearly not a satisfactory solution. Is there an easier way for getting rid of the square? (Touching the square doesn't do it.)

*The square contains a large arrow and this text:
"Switch between apps. Swipe in from the edge to go back to the last app you were using. Tip: Begin with your finger outside of your screen."

OP
O

Opahujo

Further to my post of yesterday. The "Apps Arrow Square" has rendered my Surface Pro more or less useless. Someone, please help.

Apps Arrow Square.JPG

kristalsoldier

I know that this would be the last thing I would want to hear, but have you tried completely resetting (not even refreshing) the device? Or, perhaps, you could first try a refresh (through PC Settings) and if that does not solve the problem, then reset it by going back to factory settings? It'll be a paid for sure, but it may just alleviate the problem. Essentially, that arrow - as you no doubt know - is the User Lesson that MS deemed necessary to include in their OS following howls of incomprehensibility that emanated from otherwise wise, stable and intelligence users (particularly, the reviewers).

Last edited:
OP
O

Opahujo

I know that this would be the last thing I would want to hear, but have you tried completely resetting (not even refreshing) the device? Or, perhaps, you could first try a refresh (through PC Settings) and if that does not solve the problem, then reset it by going back to factory settings? It'll be a paid for sure, but it may just alleviate the problem. Essentially, that arrow - as you no doubt know - is the User Lesson that MS deemed necessary to include in their OS following howls of incomprehensibility that emanated from otherwise wise, stable and intelligence users (particularly, the reviewers).

I'm reasonably PC literate (with XP or Win7), but when it comes to a tablet with Win8 I'm on shaky ground. Is "completely resetting" the similar to "wiping a hard drive"? I noticed that you included "It'll be a paid for sure." What does that mean? Paid by whom? Me?

kristalsoldier

I'm reasonably PC literate (with XP or Win7), but when it comes to a tablet with Win8 I'm on shaky ground. Is "completely resetting" the similar to "wiping a hard drive"? I noticed that you included "It'll be a paid for sure." What does that mean? Paid by whom? Me?

Well, first, a correction: I mean to say, it will be a pain!!!

Second, if you use the Charms menu and select PC Settings, you can reset the device. Take a look here: Restore, refresh, or reset Microsoft Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2 | Surface factory settings

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That is the Tutorial, It will return on a Refresh or Reset, just do what it is asking, It is asking you to swipe from the edge, do it and the other 3 and they won't come back...

OP
O

Opahujo

First, I want to thank you, jnjroach, and kristalsoldier for your suggestions. If it weren’t for volunteers like you serving on the many boards, most of us would be screwed, because most vendors of hardware and software hold themselves more or less incognito. Thanks, guys.

I tried a Refresh first instead of Reset because it seemed less painful than the latter and it looks like it did the trick. The “Apps Arrow Square” is gone and I am now able to switch between camera views and was finally able to down load and install Skype. The tablet in general works better than it ever has.

However, I’m back to Windows 8. Windows 8.1, which started all the problems after I downloaded it, is gone. The question then is: After I get a reminder, should I download Windows 8.1 and risk having problems again? Do I really need Windows 8.1?

leeshor

This is a wild guess but I'm thinking your original issue may have been cased by some instability in the system when you took the update the first time. I would do a reboot and disable your anti virus and try again. The vast majority of updates work just fine.

jefhart

However, I’m back to Windows 8. Windows 8.1, which started all the problems after I downloaded it, is gone. The question then is: After I get a reminder, should I download Windows 8.1 and risk having problems again? Do I really need Windows 8.1?

Microsoft isn't supporting anything lower than the Windows 8.1 Update so yes, you will need to keep your device up to date.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Microsoft isn't supporting anything lower than the Windows 8.1 Update so yes, you will need to keep your device up to date.

If the OP remains on Windows 8 the OP will continue to receive updates, if the OP moves to 8.1 through the Store then update to Update 1 to continue Patches.

OP - I would go ahead and update to 8.1 as it gives you the ability to use Wireless Displays via Miracast as well as some very substantial UI and kernel Updates.

OP
O

Opahujo

If the OP remains on Windows 8 the OP will continue to receive updates, if the OP moves to 8.1 through the Store then update to Update 1 to continue Patches.

OP - I would go ahead and update to 8.1 as it gives you the ability to use Wireless Displays via Miracast as well as some very substantial UI and kernel Updates.

I downloaded and installed Windows 8.1 Pro from the App store. Now the "Apps Arrow Square" (see image above) is back again after I click on any App and it then stays on all screens until I restart the tablet. Also, the camera is screwed up again - the front to back button is gone again and it is locked looking forward.
As I said in my previous post, the tablet worked great after 8.1 got removed during the Refresh procedure. Now I'm back to square one.

Last edited: