What's new

Apps installed to SD card won't update

wynand32

So, I got one of those SanDisk Ultra 200GB microSD cards on sale at Amazon for $60, and having nothing else to do with it I stuck it in my SP4. Figured I'd save a little space on the SSD by setting applications to install to the card.

However, now that I've done so, none of the apps that are on the SD card will update. They generate a code in the Windows Store that I forgot to write down, and the only way to get them to update is to move to the SSD.

Anybody else seeing this? I have no idea if this is a Windows 10 problem or an SP4 problem, although I tend to think it's the former. If anyone else can confirm that they have apps installed to microSD and that can be successfully updated, then that's a data point for something being wrong with my SP4.

Plantje

I have seen that happening on Windows Phone 8.1 as well. Not with all apps though. It seems to be a setting that can be set by the app developer.

Moving them back and forth is the only way...

nnthemperor

On Windows 10 it's all the apps. I doubt it's an issue with dev. setting. I think we should ask report this obj the insider hub. It's basically useless having apps on SD card if you have to move them to update.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK - So check this out. I went out and bought a super fast Samsung MicroSD card, (super fast and well worth the extra coin BTW) Anyhow, once I replaced my old SD card with the new one, Windows automatically set the Drive letter to "D" - where the old MicroSD card was "E" - All kinds of issues - For instance - when I would attempt to open my Camera, Windows would tell me it was unavailable as Windows had set everything up on the "E" drive.

........................So as you might figure, a simple fix is to head on over to the Disk Management under the Computer Management settings. I then changed the drive letter from "D" back to "E" and all was solved. This might work in your case as during the setup Windows labeled the initial MicroSD (if you had one installed) as "D or E". Perhaps changing the drive path / letter will resolve this issue. I would suggest starting your troubleshooting there. If it works, perhaps you can let me know.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, I got one of those SanDisk Ultra 200GB microSD cards on sale at Amazon for $60, and having nothing else to do with it I stuck it in my SP4. Figured I'd save a little space on the SSD by setting applications to install to the card.

However, now that I've done so, none of the apps that are on the SD card will update. They generate a code in the Windows Store that I forgot to write down, and the only way to get them to update is to move to the SSD.

Anybody else seeing this? I have no idea if this is a Windows 10 problem or an SP4 problem, although I tend to think it's the former. If anyone else can confirm that they have apps installed to microSD and that can be successfully updated, then that's a data point for something being wrong with my SP4.

Check this link out - Worked for me! Woooo - Hooooo!

(MOD) How to install Windows Stores apps on sd card

OP
wynand32

wynand32

By the way, I posted this question on another forum, and this is definitely not just a Surface problem.

yonghong

You have to format it to NTFS.period.

Plantje

If you format it as NTFS can you use it in Windows 10 Mobile as well? (And install apps on it?)