What's new

Are there any apps that are better than there desktop version?

Question more for the pro users or surface users who also have a PC / Laptop.

Are there any apps for the surface that improve apon their desktop cousins interms of function?

I'm new to the MS app store and was wondering if I should be looking on there for certain things rather than somewhere like CNET.

OP
H

hertsjoatmon

Well I tend to dabble in all sorts. Drawing, photography, gaming and I used to make music but have not for a while now. I also like reading comics and books so figure apps would be the way to go for those.
I use office 2013 thanks to deal I got from work so no need for anything there. I'm also hoping to use my Adobe Lightroom licence on this machine but havent gotten round to installing it yet.

I just wondered if there were apps that worked better with metro than being launched in desktop mode. Browsers? Social media app? That kind of thing.

Also keen to get back in to music and was looking for an affordable route back in to that. With the small screen I thought there may be an app that would be better than a desktop equivalent. FL Studio Groove cought my eye.

Same for drawing. I have my eye on Clip Studio pro, but coming from an android background I can see the benefit of a lightweight simple app for sketching over a fully fledged art studio programme such as sketchbook pro (although I love Clover paint on android) for some situations.

Another example is that people seem to recomend Arcsoft Showbiz over Windows Movie Maker.

Before I start investing in what is a new platform for me, I was interested to see what other peoples take on the app vs full programme situation was.
My brief time in the MS app store didnt come up with alot that inpired me but as I say, I'm new to the platform.

leeshor

If it's Metro apps you are primarily interested in you will find most of them on the Microsoft Store, They make it very difficult for developers to design their app for the Metro interface so you are unlikely to find just any program that will work seamlessly with the Metro UI unless it's on the Store.

Some others here may have some specific suggestions.

OP
H

hertsjoatmon

Thanks. I just thought given the small / mobile form factor, there may be apps that are more apropriate than their full programme equivalent. I'll probably end up using both apps and full programmes. One for convience and one for depth of options. Its nice having that option though.