Are you happy with your Surface Pro 2?

Are you happy with your Surface Pro 2?

• Yes

Votes: 47 87.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters

eelpout

Get a replacement, no reason to settle. I've got 2 SP2's and a SP1, all work properly without issue.
Not sure why it took so long for me to think of this :eek:, but I'm going to create and boot it from an Ubuntu USB distro. If the color is fine I'll keep it and wait for MS to get their act together, if not, back it goes to Best Buy.

Wish the poll was:

Yes
Yes but after an exchange
Yes w/ Dec firmware failure
Yes but Windows 8 ruins the experience
No
No even after exchange
No due to Dec firmware damage
No Windows 8 ruins the experience

I'm at No due to Dec firmware. Windows 8 is clunky but wish I didn't have to deal with it AND a compromised device.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The fact though, here in this thread the majority are happy with their Surface Pro 2. I would say that would translate to the larger community as well, and anyone using Windows Tablets has experienced a bad update from an OEM. Samsung with each one of their Firmware Updates broke something on the Series 7, would fix it with an update 30-60 days later and break it again down the road.

And despite the perception, the Surface Team operates as an OEM completely separated from the Windows Team (Surface Team is in Studio A and the Windows Team is in BLDG 37 and 99). The Surface Team gets builds and access to code the same way as the other OEM's.

The surface is much more a reference design that made it to market than an OEM. Much like Intel releasing the Ultrabook specification based on detailed inside knowledge of where their line of processors were going, Microsoft's Surface team started out in Studio B (Studios A -D where MS makes all of there hardware) 3 years prior to any other OEM to bring forth a platform to best showcase Windows 8 (no coincidence Sinofsky, head of Windows, did the Surface keynote). I don't see how any of this is the point other than making it more apparent to me that they should be less prone to these types of mistakes.

wseverino

Wish the poll was:

Yes
No
No even after exchange

I'm at No due to Dec firmware. Windows 8 is clunky but wish I didn't have to deal with it AND a compromised device.

Ditto

OP
H

Harvey

Wish the poll was:

Yes
No
No even after exchange

So start another poll. If I can do it anyone can.

bluegrass

I'm so freakin' happy with my RT, Surface Pro, & SP2, that I can't hardly sit and watch a whole show on TV without pickin' up one of them and playing around. At least one of them is by my side all day. I still haven't mastered doing everything without going to my 8.1 desktop, but I will. I think the docking station might spell the death of my Dell i7 desktop. I do a lot of video editing so I still want at least a clean and easy setup to a 24" monitor, keyboard and mouse. I really wonder what it would like to have a 27" Surface sitting on my coffee table.