What's new

Argh..OneNote MUI backups?

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yesterday I spent some time writing some notes from an online course lecture videos using MUI One Note. Two pages of notes were written which were in my Quick Notes section.

This morning I Open One Note Desktop as I wanted to move the notes into another section (I couldn't find a way to do this on the MUI app) however somehow, probably by not letting the MUI app sync before opening the Desktop app, I managed to lose those two pages of notes. They're not appearing in the Quick Notes section of the desktop app or, when I opened MUI interface again, in the MUI Quicknotes section...as the desktop version synced back to MUI before I could do anything about it.

Is there any way of getting MUI app to save backups? I checked through backups and deleted pages in desktop version but couldn't find them there.

I find the MUI version so much simpler for writing notes on the tablet, but this is not the first time I've lost pages using it...is there a better way to use it?? Can I really not open Desktop app until MUI has had a chance to sync??

guymalloc

If you have Onedrive installed, and active, it's used to store your Onenote notebook. As long as you have Ondrive set to be available offline, you notes should be saved locally. and the onedrive app will allow you to sync at will, whenever you have internet access, copying your notes to the cloud.

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have Onedrive installed, and active, it's used to store your Onenote notebook. As long as you have Ondrive set to be available offline, you notes should be saved locally. and the onedrive app will allow you to sync at will, whenever you have internet access, copying your notes to the cloud.
Yes it is on onedrive, but onedrive syncs all the changes so the notebook on onedrive is the synced one that doesn't have those two pages. the desktop app is set to save backups every 5 minutes so I can restore pages etc. There doesn't seem to be any older versions of the onenote notebook available on OneDrive. There are versions for other Office applications.. :-(

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
They should be here:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Office.OneNote_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\AppData\Local\OneNote\16.0\OneNoteOfflineCache_Files

Look for the time stamp, if they are there it is possible they still need to sync. I've never lost work this way....

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
They should be here:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Office.OneNote_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\AppData\Local\OneNote\16.0\OneNoteOfflineCache_Files

Look for the time stamp, if they are there it is possible they still need to sync. I've never lost work this way....
I don't think they're there, I can't see anything as it was very early this morning that I wrote them ( ie 1am..LOL). last date is yesterday.

No I didn't dream it.

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope - but then I had a minor issue with a word document causing the SP3 to get hot earlier - which got stuck as I'd already deleted the file before it uploaded... so I cleared the document cache..

I think they're gone... ah well never mind it was early notes in a course and I still have the videos I took the notes from so all is not lost. I'll just be a bit more careful with the syncing next time!

Wayne Orwig

I've never lost anything yet, but I never get a 'warm fizzy feeling' that my documents have been synced. I occasionally do a manual sync on the MUI and desktop versions, just to feel better about it.