What's new

Article suggests Intel and MS are killing off the RT device

J515OP

Super Moderator
Why would a consumer purchase an RT device? Easy, you've invested in the Microsoft Eco System and/or you want native Office Support that actually works. My 12 year old is a prime example, he with his own money purchased a Lumia 920 and I got him a Surface RT to use at school and for homework. He uses these devices while mobile and syncs to his desktop.

This and a lot of reasons discussed through this forum. The RT may not be full Windows but for somebody that needs Windows capabilities it is leaps and bounds ahead of other tablets. My RT is treated like a laptop but my other tablets are treated like big phones.

If you don't get it maybe it isn't the device for you. The RT is certainly easy to blow off in theory but in reality it is what a great many people have always wished their iPads and Androids could become. Just a few days of use makes it apparent that the RT is more than just an average 10" tablet. It absolutely lacks in apps but Office and RDP level that field in a hurry.

scharp

That's fantastic. Other than Office, what is your son actually doing on the RT that Android, IOS or better yet, Windows on Atom can't? What part of the Microsoft ecosystem is the RT so much better at that it justifies a weak app store? Since your son is only 12, I imagine as a responsible parent, you would want to limit the number or harmful and inappropriate apps he is exposed to, and limit the number of things that can distract him from his studies. I guess in that case, an RT is perfect :)

scharp

This and a lot of reasons discussed through this forum. The RT may not be full Windows but for somebody that needs Windows capabilities it is leaps and bounds ahead of other tablets. My RT is treated like a laptop but my other tablets are treated like big phones.

If you don't get it maybe it isn't the device for you. The RT is certainly easy to blow off in theory but in reality it is what a great many people have always wished their iPads and Androids could become. Just a few days of use makes it apparent that the RT is more than just an average 10" tablet. It absolutely lacks in apps but Office and RDP level that field in a hurry.

There's no doubt the RT is excellent at what it does. And for a number of people, this may be the best device for them. But is that enough to make it more than a niche device? What evidence is there that suggest it is? Also, let's not pretend Atom tablets don't exist. They can fill in whatever role Android and IOS may be lacking and in a lot of instances, much better than the RT.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That's fantastic. Other than Office, what is your son actually doing on the RT that Android, IOS or better yet, Windows on Atom can't? What part of the Microsoft ecosystem is the RT so much better at that it justifies a weak app store? Since your son is only 12, I imagine as a responsible parent, you would want to limit the number or harmful and inappropriate apps he is exposed to, and limit the number of things that can distract him from his studies. I guess in that case, an RT is perfect :)

The biggest thing...Family Safety Setting move across all of his devices and I get a report on his activities including what he searches for, there is no way that I would trust his online safety to an Apple or Android device. Atom Tablets choke on gaming that work great on the Surface RT.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There's no doubt the RT is excellent at what it does. And for a number of people, this may be the best device for them. But is that enough to make it more than a niche device? What evidence is there that suggest it is? Also, let's not pretend Atom tablets don't exist. They can fill in whatever role Android and IOS may be lacking and in a lot of instances, much better than the RT.

Atom Tablets will never be as secure or stable as the RT devices, I support both Atom and ARM based Windows Devices. The Atom's x86 Compatibility is actually its Achilles Heel, people load a bunch of Legacy Software or Drivers and the poor little burgers start to really bog down and crash. Also the consumer who buy the Atom Tablets are expecting Core CPU performance and are disappointed.

pallentx

The biggest thing...Family Safety Setting move across all of his devices and I get a report on his activities including what he searches for, there is no way that I would trust his online safety to an Apple or Android device. Atom Tablets choke on gaming that work great on the Surface RT.

YES. I wish MS would advertise Family Safety more (and update the online interface to the new look). I think for the lower cost, smaller Surface tablets coming out, this will be a big deal. Surface RT has lots of advantages over iOS or Android. Having the familiar Windows 8 interface is a big one. If you already have a Windows desktop or laptop, you don't have to learn anything else. You can buy an app once and use it on both platforms. Why you would chose it over Android or iOS is easy for me. Why you would buy it over the next gen Atom will be more complicated. If the new Atom procs can deliver the same battery life and more power, RT becomes a harder sell. Of course, what will the next ARM generation be capable of? Perhaps this gap only closes temporarily. Also, I think MS wants to push for more merging of the phone and tablet platforms on the software side. If that's the case, keeping RT around will be a key part of that strategy. I would love to see 1 app for phone, tablet and desktop.

Last edited:

joga

I think Win RT can be successfull if it runs on more powerfull hardware. I had a Surface RT and even if the Store need some additional apps, i did not miss anything.

MS is here for the long run. Sit down and wait.

Spaniard

Only RT? Phones are next. Wintel is a marathon runner. :cool2:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzYpzpAo4cgSWS1jODljOUlwTDQ/edit?usp=sharing

Intel_Silvermont_2.jpg
Intel-Silvermont-2-630x354.jpg

pallentx

Ultimately, I don't care what CPU is in my tablet. If it can perform with good battery life and compete on price all the same time, I'll be happy. Again, these benchmarks are a future product compared to the current competition. Silvermont vs the next ARM will be the comparison to see. The ARM manufacturers like NVIDIA and all are going to have to step it up quick though if they want to stay in this game.

x86 is nice for compatibility with legacy software, but running legacy software is not a big selling point for me on a tablet and will be even less of an issue on the new, smaller tablets. Its risky business opening up for any legacy software on Atom or any low power proc at the moment. On the one hand, it would be nice to have apps that havent been released for the "modern" interface, but on the other hand, you risk people having a very bad experience when they load up resource-hungry legacy apps that slow their machine to a crawl.

Last edited: