What's new

Article suggests Intel and MS are killing off the RT device

Spaniard

This article is better:

Sorry Windows RT, Windows 8 on an Atom has your number ? Tech News and Analysis

I agree with the last comment, ARM will be dead if a few years:

cool8man, big f***ing deal on ARM side. Bay Trail will release end of 2013 or early 2014, and it’ll go toe-to-toe with the Cortex A15 solutions releasing this year. Cortex A15 have power consumption issues as well, did you know that? And Bay Trail will be an architecture redesign and a die shrink to 22nm, vs 28nm of Cortex A15 solutions, with Intel’s in house GPU (i.e. no longer reliant on PowerVR crap). Plus, Bay Trail’s atom successor will be released on 14nm with another architecture redesign, and the ARM collective have no roadmap after 28nm, they’re at a severe technological disadvantage.

Intel may play catch up for the next 2 years or so, but it will win out eventually. Intel is going tick AND tock in one year, and coupled with their tech edge, will obliterate ARM by 2015-2016.

quadtronix

I hope they don't kill off RT too soon. I am planning on getting a small Win RT tablet when they are released. First of all, what I use tablets for, I can do it all on RT. Second, most if not all of what I do on my laptop, I can do with RT. All I really need to do is browse the web, read ebooks, watch YouTube, use Evernote, calendar, and email. Maybe some light word processing and excel but that's about it. To me, full Win8 desktop on a mini tablet would be overkill and probably awkward and difficult to use. I think I actually prefer RT for its simplicity and I can't wait till the small form factor machines start hitting the shelves. But if I had to get full Win 8 I would just not use the desktop all that much.

Spaniard

8", Intel Atom, 8 hours battery life and Windows 8, NO Windows RT
It's 16:10 1280 x 800 (Surface RT is 16:9 1366 x 768)
Acer Iconia W3 official: the first 8-inch Windows 8 tablet launches this month for $379 (hands-on)
http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/2/4390008/acer-iconia-w3-tablet-hands-on
dsc02630-1370159766.jpg

Last edited:

mitchellvii

you must be the "new" stick in the mud in the forum....:wink:

Well to look at it from a practical basis, doesn't the introduction of ultra-low power Intel Haswell CPU's sort of make RT unnecessary? They are thinking the 6w Y version can go fan-less.

tonyz3

Well to look at it from a practical basis, doesn't the introduction of ultra-low power Intel Haswell CPU's sort of make RT unnecessary? They are thinking the 6w Y version can go fan-less.
i def think haswell will change things but they knew about haswell when they made the rt so why make it at all. If the apps come it will be relevant. Outlook and digital screen would really help. who really knows...

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

mitchellvii

i def think haswell will change things but they knew about haswell when they made the rt so why make it at all. If the apps come it will be relevant. Outlook and digital screen would really help. who really knows...

Actually I know but I'm practicing being humble in case I ever need it one day.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Haswell doesn't address the fundamental difference between ARM and X86, that is Windows RT is a closed system that allows for a more secure and stable experience. Even the Haswell Y SoC can't perform well if some user installs legacy and buggy Win32 software/driver that prevents the tablet going into the S0iX Power State, the Atom CPUs that support S0iX are suffering with this currently (the worst offenders appear to be drivers). X86 backwards compatibility and legacy support is the biggest advantage and the biggest drawback for the platform. RT will continue to have a place for users that want/need the stable platform while on the go and with Outlook coming it will make it much more business friendly.

mitchellvii

Haswell doesn't address the fundamental difference between ARM and X86, that is Windows RT is a closed system that allows for a more secure and stable experience. Even the Haswell Y SoC can't perform well if some user installs legacy and buggy Win32 software/driver that prevents the tablet going into the S0iX Power State, the Atom CPUs that support S0iX are suffering with this currently (the worst offenders appear to be drivers). X86 backwards compatibility and legacy support is the biggest advantage and the biggest drawback for the platform. RT will continue to have a place for users that want/need the stable platform while on the go and with Outlook coming it will make it much more business friendly.

What he said.

pallentx

For tablets and portable devices, legacy app compatibility will be less an less of an issue as the store gets better options. I see legacy app compatibility as a temporary crutch to make up where new apps haven't been developed. Its not the future of the platform. If there continues to be a significant price discount for RT and a battery life bonus - I think it still makes sense. Remember, Atom is not the only chip platform coming out with a faster new model - the next gen ARMs are on the way too.