[Article] This is why you dislike Bing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by TeknoBlast, Jul 19, 2013.

1. TeknoBlast

TeknoBlast Active Member

I found this very interesting and very true. People truly hate on one brand because confirmation bias. These people cannot accept that maybe another product can be as good or maybe better than the one they are "loyal" too.

For example, Playstation fans cannot, for the world, accept that the Xbox is great system. They will insult, harass Xbox users because for some reason they have to defend their PlayStation as being the "superior" console. Unlike me, I'm an Xbox fan and prefer the Xbox, but I accept that the Playstation is a great system. For some reason, some people cant do that.

2. ArnoldC

ArnoldC New Member

Same all over, like Windows 7 users hating Windows 8 but have zero experience.

3. MJS9

MJS9 New Member

Just tweaked some of your bias :eek:

I will try Bing for 30 days if I identify a need to do so. I have no confirmation bias or hatred towards Bing. I think the simple fact that Google got here first and returns the information I need to do my job efficiently and to a high quality has made it the natural 'go to' search tool for me.

4. tonyz3

tonyz3 New Member

i actually was an all in Google user up until i got Win 8 and RT than i decided to give MS all in a try- Bing, Phone everything, even switch my swifes phone, i had a few wins 8 tabs for myself until the SP came avail, Now that is all i use. Not to get off subject- I actually like bing, but i still have my note 8.0 and use Google services on it. So i have no bias. As soon as a good quality 7-8 inch becomes avail i will be grabbing it and selling the note 8.0 - i thought i needed the note 8.0 just to keep up to date with Android and i rarely grab the thing anymore. Since 8.1 i use my wifes RT in the evenings and my SP all day. Moral of the story i like BING now that i have been using it, but have no problems using Gsvcs when i get the chance.

5. Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie Active Member

I don't use Bing because I think Microsoft has enough of the computer market with it's OS and Office and other programs and Internet Exploder.

It seems they try to take over everything that comes up and works well in the field of Internet and Computers.

Google did it first. And, as far as I'm concerned, best and I see no reason to switch to Bing and let Microsoft dominate another field.

6. whiteblazer01

whiteblazer01 Member

I use Startpage for the very reason Startpage is available. Though that reason is the very reason why Google and Bing are so popular and accurate.

Confirmation bias is very real and prevalent everywhere. That, coupled with people's tendency towards familiarity and comfort, aversion to change, and debilitated by fear, then you have a hard time getting people to do anything "different". That's why we as people are (generally) so slow to progress and grow. There are those who are more adept to progression and change, and "we" recognize those people as stereotypically successful

I played around with the Bing Maps app on my SP, and loved how quick and fluid it is. Since I use public transportation, I use Google Maps as they show bus stops and schedules on their Maps. Otherwise, Bing Maps is great.

7. whiteblazer01

whiteblazer01 Member

PS, that's what's called a "hater". Otherwise known as "crab mentality" or "tall poppy syndrome".

1 person likes this.
  8. Mr.NK

Mr.NK Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    RT
    I've tried to use bing. One reason for using google instead:
    Filtering search after date. They're saying it's also available for bing - but it's not.
    And yes, this is very important for me at least 80% of the time. So i'm using bing only on my Lumia.

9. ArnoldC

ArnoldC New Member

AltaVista was way ahead of Google.

1 person likes this.
  10. Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie Active Member

No, I don't < hate > Microsoft.

I enthusiastically use most of their products and love them.

But I don't like the idea of their vulturism.

They let someone else develop a concept and then they rip off the work the other people had done as they did with Internet Explorer.

Mozilla virtually created the Internet as we know it. For those of you who go back to the 80's when Moz got started and remember what we had then, you understand what I mean.

Mozilla created the concept of " browsers " and made it work.

Then when Microsoft saw a profitable product they jumped on the band wagon and gave Internet Explorer away free. I remember when Mozilla sold yearly subscriptions before IE was released by Microsoft.

Although I do love many of the products from Microsoft, I am honest enough to admit that Microsoft is often less than admirable in it's dealings. It uses it's vast wealth and power to club other products into submission and / or buys them.

They have been fined in Europe for defying the orders to make the OS more easily accessible to other browsers.
    They would rather pay the fines than do what the courts ordered.

Although I criticize Microsoft, I am not a hater.

Now I am indeed a HATER of Apple, Inc.

No question about that. I hate every element of that corporation's business practices.

I refuse to have any Apple branded products in my home.

11. TunaSurface

TunaSurface Active Member

I don't use Bing, because every time I enter the site my screen gets filled with notifications and things I don't want there.
    My experience with google is so much better. That's why I use it.