What's new

Attach SP2 to external monitor

jtheile

Dear all,

I have just received my SP2 yesterday and attached it to my 22 inch LCD monitor. However I realized that the quality is very bad compared to my previous notebook attached.

Are there any ideas what needs to be setup and specifically taken care of?

Johannes

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Can you tell us how you connected to your monitor? Did you connect via a Mini DP to DisplayPort or Mini-DP to HDMI or Mini-DP to VGA, or through a USB VGA Dongle or Dock? We need more information if we are to assist you. :)

OP
J

jtheile

Sure ;-)

I have used an Apple MiniDisplayPort to DVI adapter which I still had in a drawer from a failed expedition to Apple. Does it make sense to try a different modell?

Johannes

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It is most likely a bad connection due to the angle of the Surface Pro, the one designed for the pro is angled to match the slope.

OP
J

jtheile

ok, I will try to buy another one. I had ordered the original from MS but despite having asked their support chat guys, they recommended the wrong cable. :-(

D

Deleted member 11423

I'm also planning on connect it to an external monitor via DVI if/when I get my Surface Pro 2. The article here talks about blurry Windows rendered at one scale level then moved to another. I only want the display to show on my #2 external monitor when docked at my desk. I'm wondering if the scaling will automatically change from 150% to 100% when docked and visa versa when undocked?

Last edited by a moderator:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You can set scaling for each monitor in Windows 8.1. I have found that for Win32 code that looks blurry on the external monitor, I can disable scaling in the Properties of .exe in the compatibility tab.

D

Deleted member 11423

You can set scaling for each monitor in Windows 8.1. I have found that for Win32 code that looks blurry on the external monitor, I can disable scaling in the Properties of .exe in the compatibility tab.

Scaling improvements in Windows 8.1 do include setting level differently for each monitor. I assumed that is for stationary setups such as desktops. I will be docking and undocking often so what I'm asking is for the display to show only on #2 external monitor when docked with scaling automatically changing from 150% to 100%.

weedking

Just curious - is anyone going to use a touch screen external monitor? Can you do this? Anything to be concerned about?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Scaling improvements in Windows 8.1 do include setting level differently for each monitor. I assumed that is for stationary setups such as desktops. I will be docking and undocking often so what I'm asking is for the display to show only on #2 external monitor when docked with scaling automatically changing from 150% to 100%.

Yes, Windows understands a docked and un-docked scenario, it recognizes the Monitor you plug into and reverts to those settings. My wife while plugged into her external only wants one screen, I don't understand that workflow but that is what she wants and the Surface Pro 2 configures each time she plugs in.

OP
J

jtheile

I have now tried again with the Apple adapter and it works now, much better than yesterday. However the quality is still worse than with my Thinkpad being connected via DVI.

Any additional ideas are appreciated :-D

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure it is in good, I was at a lectern yesterday and I had issues with the squared adapter loosing connection, I never have that issue with the Mini-DP to HDMI Surface Adapter.