What's new

Attempted July updates - failed, wont boot, 0xc000021a

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It just wasn't going to come back up. Something went terribly wrong. Used Advanced recovery Command Prompt to robocopy off files under users.
holy heck, there's a ton of Junk this systems keeps that clearing browser temp files just doesn't clean up.

It's possible a manual restore of Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe would have fixed this... with the dirt on this system I decided to go the RESET route and totally clean house.

I hope everybody's updates go better than this however, I did update a couple other Surfaces without issue.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Note Robocopy wouldn't copy some files under a deep MSStore Directory which were just useless tracking garbage anyway so skipped them... :)

malberttoo

It just wasn't going to come back up. Something went terribly wrong. Used Advanced recovery Command Prompt to robocopy off files under users.
holy heck, there's a ton of Junk this systems keeps that clearing browser temp files just doesn't clean up.

It's possible a manual restore of Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe would have fixed this... with the dirt on this system I decided to go the RESET route and totally clean house.

I hope everybody's updates go better than this however, I did update a couple other Surfaces without issue.

Wow, bummer. Glad you got it sorted, but it blows that it happened at all.

Something similar happened to me many months ago, when I very first went to Insider. My SP3 was all kinds of hosed, and I ended up just going back to 8.1 and waiting for a long time... :)

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still installing the 74 updates... thankfully there must be some rollups in there, I was afraid it might be in the multiple hundreds... but it will be all cleaned and fresh just like new. :)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You must have been very concerned about a 24 x 18 x 1/2 inch brick for awhile. Glad you're on the mend.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still installing the 74 updates... thankfully there must be some rollups in there, I was afraid it might be in the multiple hundreds... but it will be all cleaned and fresh just like new. :)
Well I was premature in the number of updates, after the 74 there was 3 more followed by 34, then 1, and it's currently working on 122. Now, that's more like it :)

leeshor

Well I was premature in the number of updates, after the 74 there was 3 more followed by 34, then 1, and it's currently working on 122. Now, that's more like it :)
Yes it is. More often than not, some updates beget more updates. I was waiting for the punch line. ;)

macster

I had a similar problem and as a matter of fact I have 1 more update to go (fingers crossed). I also did a full reset 4 times (annotating) the process at the 3rd & 4th times. So far it seems that I needed to remove the microsd card when I do this. I had the libraries pointing to the SD card instead of the C drive.

Also, instead of installing all of the updates at one time. I did them in groups. So far this looks like a wrap.

M~

Last edited: