What's new

Audio Popping via Headphone Jack?

OP
wynand32

wynand32

Well, I had to swap out my second unit because its fan started failing--high-pitched whine at lower RPMs, sounded like the bearings were going out. Unfortunately, the replacement has the audio popping, which is a HUGE disappointment--indeed, the popping might even be worse on this one.

Now I'm wondering exactly how many units have it, and will be addressing Microsoft corporate about it. Perhaps they'll issue a software fix for it. Otherwise this new unit seems good, I don't really want to swap it out if my chances (by my own very limited sample) are 66% that I'll get another unit with audio popping and who knows what other problems.

My, but why can't these manufacturers ever put out a machine without issues? I know it's part of being on the bleeding edge, and everyone is guilty (I went though four iPad 3's before getting a good one), but still, it's frustrating.

OP
wynand32

wynand32

I've spent a little time troubleshooting this audio popping, and it seems like there's some kind of short in the audio jack. It's apparent when you plug headphones in and out, and particularly as the headphone plug stereo contacts move back and forth. This tells me that the problem is likely a hardware one (I was hoping it was something in the audio drivers, but of course that doesn't make as much sense if only some units have the problem), and this did not happen on my second unit.

I'm going to go back this morning and swap for my fourth unit. The Microsoft Store guys are going to hate me for sure, but I do love this machine. I just can't afford to spend $1300 on a machine that has such an issue.

Has anyone else swapped out their SP3 because of the audio popping and got a unit without it?

killervette666

My SP1, SP2, and SP3 all have had some audio popping. I have tried exchanging my SP2 over audio popping, but after 3 exchanges (some for bezel separation issues) I came to the conclusion that they pretty much all have it. In fact, I think it's a Windows 8 issue. I never had audio popping on my PC until I installed Windows 8 Pro, now I have some audio popping. I think Windows 8 audio drivers just don't jive with certain hardware.

I would say if you have a perfectly working SP3, with no major defects like heat, battery, wifi, crashing, keep it for now. Whatever SP3s they have to give out as replacements right now were made in the same factory and are probably from the same batch that the initial release SP3s were made. Maybe 6 months down the line they'll finally take the issues from the returned SP3s and incorporate fixes into the assembly line, but at this point you're probably going to get one with the same exact issues, if not worse.

OP
wynand32

wynand32

My SP1, SP2, and SP3 all have had some audio popping. I have tried exchanging my SP2 over audio popping, but after 3 exchanges (some for bezel separation issues) I came to the conclusion that they pretty much all have it. In fact, I think it's a Windows 8 issue. I never had audio popping on my PC until I installed Windows 8 Pro, now I have some audio popping. I think Windows 8 audio drivers just don't jive with certain hardware.

I hear you, and this seems to argue for not swapping out this particular unit, but the fact that my second SP3 didn't have it supports the thesis that it's not inherent to Windows 8. In this case, it seems very much like there's a problem with some audio jacks--on my first and third units, plugging and unplugging headphones was a painful affair; I pretty much had to take the headphones off when doing either or suffer from popping noises loud enough to be uncomfortable. On the second unit, there was absolutely none. This has to be a hardware problem, as far as I can tell, even if it turns out that more units have the problem than don't.

I'm going to head back to the Microsoft Store this morning and swap out for a fourth unit, if for no other reason than to contribute to letting Microsoft know that there might be a problem. Posting about it and telling Microsoft doesn't have the same impact as a product return, assuming that the issue is noted somewhere and passed along to Microsoft quality control.

I hate to give the SP3 a black eye, because it's really a remarkable machine, but at the same time the sooner Microsoft is aware of issues, the sooner they can fix them. All companies suffer from manufacturing and component issues when products are first released (Apple should be notorious for it, but they're somewhat protected by the tech media), and it's probably the cost of product returns that compels them to fix those issues.

OP
wynand32

wynand32

Well, I'm a little chagrined. I have a new SP3, actually my fifth unit (the fourth had significant screen separation on the upper-right hand corner, about 2 inches in that was quite noticeable from a distance) and it suffer(ed) from the audio popping as did my first and third units. However, I installed the latest Realtek drivers from their Web site, and the issue seems to have disappeared.

I'm not sure why the second unit didn't have the popping, since this is apparently a driver issue, but I'm feeling a little embarrassed that I swapped out so many units because of the problem. I should have tried the driver issue first; I could have saved myself some hassle and identified the source of the problem (or at least an apparent solution to it) at the same time.

So, if you're experiencing the problem, try downloading and installing the latest Realtek drivers and see if that helps out.

Mazel

Well, I'm a little chagrined. I have a new SP3, actually my fifth unit (the fourth had significant screen separation on the upper-right hand corner, about 2 inches in that was quite noticeable from a distance) and it suffer(ed) from the audio popping as did my first and third units. However, I installed the latest Realtek drivers from their Web site, and the issue seems to have disappeared.

I'm not sure why the second unit didn't have the popping, since this is apparently a driver issue, but I'm feeling a little embarrassed that I swapped out so many units because of the problem. I should have tried the driver issue first; I could have saved myself some hassle and identified the source of the problem (or at least an apparent solution to it) at the same time.

So, if you're experiencing the problem, try downloading and installing the latest Realtek drivers and see if that helps out.

Could you post the link for where exactly you got the driver?

Mazel

Sure. Start here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false, accept the waiver, then select the High Definition Audio Codecs, then US1 in the 64 bit driver row (it's a little confusing as to what you're actually supposed to click on). Download and install.

So the link ended up not working, but I think I found the right file. I am downloading version R2.75 64bit driver only. Hopefully it fixes the low pulse. Mine is a very low frequency, 2 pulses per second, but I cannot hear it at all when I turn off my sub (I actually am doing some other tests so the SP3 is wired to my desktop mouse, keyboard, monitor, and speakers). I will repost if the popping stops with Realtek driver.

UPDATE: The new driver did not fix the popping. Guess my SP3 is going back as the popping drives me crazy. The only way to get rid of it is to lose my sub, or use crappy headphones that don't pick up low frequencies.

Last edited:

Feoen

Hmm so I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I read about this on another forum where a guy was having trouble getting his bluetooth headphones to stay connected:

"Yeah, I figured out it was a problem with how W8.1 handles stereo Bluetooth connections when on battery. It actually disconnects the high level "streaming" signal after about a minute of no direct audio in order to save battery life, which is why there's a tiny bit of delay when you start audio again, since its reconnecting. You can adjust it in the power profile through the registry, or something, I had to have the MS tech support guy give me surprisingly complicated instructions, because you can't edit it from the control panel power profile settings, at least right now."

Think this might be related?

m1tch

I just wanted to add in that I am having this issue as well.. After audio goes silent from a movie, the speaker starts popping every second like.. Pop.. Pop.. Pop..

I have an audio cable plugged in from my speaker/amp to the headphone jack on my Surface Pro 3. My unit is a 512gb i7 that I got on release day.

I am also experiencing the wifi issue that other users are reporting.. I enabled Hyper-V on my tablet and then when I resume I have to enable/disable the wifi for it to work again even though it says Connected. I tried the older drivers from April and with those wifi resume seems to work when I have Hyper-V disabled. So right now that's my half-solution is to just deal with it when I need Hyper-V enabled and then switch to the active-standby mode when I don't need Hyper-V.. (I'm just documenting this hear in case other users are having it as well..)