What's new

Auto-correct in desktop mode?

kozak79

Is there a way to enable auto-correct and suggestions in desktop mode and desktop apps?

Its maddening trying to type using on-screen keyboard without auto-correct.

GoodBytes

I don't think that is possible, because how can Windows change the text that you typed in a program that has it's own custom text editor box? That's the problem with desktop Windows programs. While I am sure Microsoft can provide this feature for .NET programs, for the rest, it either uses legacy Windows API, even if the program is new ('cause that is what the devs know, or the version of the software is based on a very old version), or uses a custom text box, or the GUI framework used in the software doesn't support in any way, external control of the text box.

daniielrp

I believe this is down to the individual program - Office, Chrome etc. If a desktop program doesn't have it's own autocorrect, then you're a bit stuck :/

OP
K

kozak79

Tried it. Works great. Tiny script that runs in background and corrects common misspellings. You can press Windows + H to add your own autocorrect words. Works in all desktop applications.

daniielrp

Tried it. Works great. Tiny script that runs in background and corrects common misspellings. You can press Windows + H to add your own autocorrect words. Works in all desktop applications.

What source does it use? Can you set language as English UK instead of English US for example?

OP
K

kozak79

The script from the link above has common English misspellings within it. It doesn't reference any dictionary, it's all in the script. You can edit the script easily with any text editor and add or take away what you don't like.