What's new

Solved Autorotate work for anyone on SP3 Windows 10?

OP
D

dld44

I believe I am on my way to fixing this. I did some searching through the registry this morning and found Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AutoRotation. SensorPresent was set to zero. I turned it on, rebooted using sharp's two-finger suggestion (probably a good idea to use that method any time anything significant is changed?) and I now have Rotation Lock in the Action Center and an option to lock rotation in the Display Settings. But autorotate still doesn't function. At least that's progress!

Now I need to get the sensor drivers right. The accelerometer driver still will not start when manually installed under "Add legacy hardware", but I'm not sure that it is even needed or indeed part of the problem, since the single sensor that is now installed is HID Sensor Collection V2, which implies what it says. But I believe I also need at a minimum the "Fusion Sensor V2" driver.

Would someone who has an SP3 at the November update level with autorotate working please take a look in the Device Manager Sensors category and tell me just what drivers are installed and working and what the driver levels are? Also look at the Sensor I/O devices category if present on your SP3 for the same information (this category appeared and disappeared a couple of times as I was going through various suggestions to get this working).
Thanks, DaveD

I guess the newer SP3 batches have different sensors on them. Mine is one of the earliest batches, and it doesn't have the Kionix Sensor Fusion Device. Auto-rotate works fine with Microsoft drivers 10.0.10586.0.

OP
D

dld44

theveterans: Please, if you can, provide the exact driver names and levels, all of them if more than one. Telling me you are using Microsoft drivers is not enough. Which ones?
Thanks, DaveD

Here. Not sure what you need but this is all I have in my Sensors:

Screenshot (1).png

OP
D

dld44

Thanks. That is what I needed. When I did a cold reboot that same driver, and only that one, was installed automatically. But it still isn't working. It's probably some other registry entry, so I'll do some more looking. The word "Collection" in the name must say all we need to know. No other drivers should be necessary.
DaveD

Thanks. That is what I needed. When I did a cold reboot that same driver, and only that one, was installed automatically. But it still isn't working. It's probably some other registry entry, so I'll do some more looking. The word "Collection" in the name must say all we need to know. No other drivers should be necessary.
DaveD

That's good to know.

Have you tried performing a system integrity scan: sfc/ scannow just to narrow down if it's a OS issue or not? You can always reapply the firmware updates at Microsoft download center.

seyclone

I rarely use my Sp3 in tablet mode or in even in portrait mode. So I tried it. The screen rotated in both laptop and table modes without any problem. The rotation tile is blacked out. Purchase date Jan 10, 2015

OP
D

dld44

It appears that the problem is fixed! My thanks to new member arcanux. He worked with me via a private conversation over the last several days. I will summarize how it was made to work, in case anyone else has the same problem.

The problem had to do with changing group policy with gpedit.msc, specifically User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Location Sensors to "Disabled" and discovering that the editor does not work. It is described here as a Group Policy Management Console error. If that occurs when you attempt to edit group policy, follow the instructions. But for me, after erasing LocationProviderAdm.admx (and .adml, which for me is in the en-US folder under the referenced folder), renaming Microsoft-Windows-Geolocation-WLPAdm.admx (and .adml, ditto above, which is mis-identified in the item as another .admx) it resulted in another error. So I copied both files and renamed the copies to the names of the erased files.

You must first take control of the files, and I did that with Properties>Security>Advanced>Change Owner. arcanux used unlocker 1.9 to take control of the files. He also reported that DWS Lite (destroy windows spying) has a utility option that also fixes the autorotate problem (it does not fix the group policy editor problem) .

There were some other things that had to be made right, most or all of which is detailed in this item in earlier posts.

If this helps, don't thank me, thank arcanux.

DaveD

Last edited: