What's new

Awesome iPad Pro Web Comic.

CrippsCorner

:) It's interesting that the moans people had about the keyboard not being bundled with the SP3, and the pen not having a holder don't apply to the iPad pro..

Problem is (and we're going to hear this a lot) that the iPad Pro isn't touted as a laptop replacement, it's still 'just a tablet' at the end of the day, with obvious add-ons. The Surface gets crucified because it's laptop replacement, and what kind of laptop doesn't have a keyboard?

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Problem is (and we're going to hear this a lot) that the iPad Pro isn't touted as a laptop replacement, it's still 'just a tablet' at the end of the day, with obvious add-ons. The Surface gets crucified because it's laptop replacement, and what kind of laptop doesn't have a keyboard?

Ahh I know what you meant and yes the Surface makes less sense as a laptop without the keyboard, but being pedantic it was marketed as the tablet that can replace your laptop (if you want it to).....

I do agree it would have been an easier sell if MS did bundle the keyboard, for most people it makes more sense with one (unless you're ctitanic!).

macmee

While I totally agree that Apple took a page out of Microsoft's book I only have 3 things to say:

1. The fact that it doesn't run a full OS but is over $1,000 with pen and keyboard is insane
2. I'm utterly sick of seeing this comic and these posts mostly because reddit is also covered with them
3. I'm curious to see which device wins out because I think Microsoft has a good reputation with businesses already but that Apple has a reputation for making better quality / less buggy products.

So we will see. The only reasons I could see myself switch would be if the note taking was somehow phenomenally better, or if the thing could run xcode. Tragically I don't think it will run xcode, even though it costs over $1000......

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
While I totally agree that Apple took a page out of Microsoft's book I only have 3 things to say:

1. The fact that it doesn't run a full OS but is over $1,000 with pen and keyboard is insane
2. I'm utterly sick of seeing this comic and these posts mostly because reddit is also covered with them
3. I'm curious to see which device wins out because I think Microsoft has a good reputation with businesses already but that Apple has a reputation for making better quality / less buggy products.

So we will see. The only reasons I could see myself switch would be if the note taking was somehow phenomenally better, or if the thing could run xcode. Tragically I don't think it will run xcode, even though it costs over $1000......
I don't recall where I read it but one analyst said and I'm paraphrasing ... It's the most expensive thin client ever.

CrippsCorner

Ahh I know what you meant and yes the Surface makes less sense as a laptop without the keyboard, but being pedantic it was marketed as the tablet that can replace your laptop (if you want it to).....

I do agree it would have been an easier sell if MS did bundle the keyboard, for most people it makes more sense with one (unless you're ctitanic!).

I like the emphasis :D and yes, of course they should bundle it... fingers crossed for some kind of deal with the Surface Pro 4.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That covers a LOT of what it is in one sentence.
Well, if you take a $130 thin client and a $200 touch screen monitor ($330 total)
remove the mouse support
virtualize and cripple the keyboard navigation,
remove all USB functionality,
remove external storage functionality (micro SD or otherwise)
remove the ability to access files,
convolute the printing process,
you pretty much have an iPad.

lhauser

The thing that gets me (besides the pen charging thing...good grief) is that it's being touted as an enterprise device while running a portable OS. I have nothing against iDevices -- my wife totally loves her iPad, it has opened up the online world for her -- but iOS simply isn't in the same class as Windows or even OS X for enterprise use.

Grumpy2

Yeah, like naming anything with an "i" in front of it is not copying Apple branding ... certainly not original. what's next iburitos :)
Not sure who copied who but in the year 2000 I bought an Compaq (now hp) iPAQ Pocket PC. I think it was a 3630 but not sure. Did Apple have any "i" devices then or did they pinch someone else's idea like they always seem to do?