What's new

Backlight on keyboard doesnt work :)

godson594

Just ranting. Going to have to return my Sp3 keyboard being the backlight doesn't work...

I tried another keyboard that's in the office and it works perfectly

I smile because I didn't expect a smooth ride with the sp3 after my sp2 experience. Debating returning it all together at this point

malberttoo

Why return it altogether? Seems like if you're happy with the machine, then the keyboard is a minor issue.

OP
G

godson594

weird - reboots and re-attaching and i'm back in business.... Guess i'll keep an eye out.

I said return all together because I went through hell with my sp2 and regretted keeping it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If it happens again try booting in UEFI by holding the volume rocker up and pressing the power button and exit making no changes, this does a hard reset of the device and typically fixes the nagging missing keyboard (or at least it did on the SP2 - hasn't happened on my SP3 as of yet).

foghat

did you make sure the keyboard brightness (F1 and F2 keys) was turned up? I know I accidentally turned my down/off. took me a minute to figure out why my keyboard wasn't lighting up.

OP
G

godson594

Seems strange to go for a 3 if you hated the 2! Companies usually only get one chance with me lol...

I totally agree - Work bought this one that's the only reason I have it ;)

I'll be testing solid works on it later on today. If it can't handle it like my SP2 then I'll end up sending this back.... And just roughing it out on a Macbook air

jedge

did you make sure the keyboard brightness (F1 and F2 keys) was turned up? I know I accidentally turned my down/off. took me a minute to figure out why my keyboard wasn't lighting up.

LISTEN TO THIS GUY/GIRL!, the little brightness icons over the F1 and F2 keyboard aren't for the screen, they're for the keyboard! I think there are 4 levels of brightness to the keyboard, one of them being off. So if you accidentally pressed the F1 key you might have turned the brightness all the way down to off.

FYI: you can adjust the SCREEN brightness using the keyboard too, though it's not obvious. FN+DEL turns the screen brightness up. FN+BACKSPACE turns the screen brightness down.