What's new

Bad battery life

kristalsoldier

I remember I had some trouble with battery drain in standby mode. I usually hade to charge my device everyday, but when I turned Bluetooth ON I only lost 4-5% over an 8-9hour session during the night, so connected standby battery life greatly improved!

Im selling my first gen Surface today, so I will be placing an order for Surface 2 today also!

Nice! I also had the original RT and now have the Surface 2. Marked improvement on all counts! You are going to enjoy using it.

kristalsoldier

I have been eyeing the Surface 2 since the release. I cant wait to play with it! :D

As some of my past posts on this matter show, I agonized over the Surface 2 for the longest time. And then I just gave in. The two-step kickstand, the reported improvements to the battery, and the higher screen resolution did it for me. I then went and bought the 64GB version and I have not regretted it since.

Now, I am trying to squeeze as much battery as possible from the device. I am also wondering that if there is Surface 3 later next year, would I upgrade then!!!!

Wevenhuis

I can not imagine that leaving bluetooth on because of a standby principle for better battery life is accurate. That fact remains that leaving bluetooth on when not using it drains your battery. If it is shown that it improves battery it is a bug and should be reported to microsoft. The more radios that are on the more battery that will be drained. The principle is as simple as that. The principle works on the smartphone and certainly a windows phone. It should do the same for an RT or full windows device.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

kristalsoldier

I can not imagine that leaving bluetooth on because of a standby principle for better battery life is accurate. That fact remains that leaving bluetooth on when not using it drains your battery. If it is shown that it improves battery it is a bug and should be reported to microsoft. The more radios that are on the more battery that will be drained. The principle is as simple as that. The principle works on the smartphone and certainly a windows phone. It should do the same for an RT or full windows device.

Yes, that is indeed the conventional wisdom, which is what Oion and I, among others, have mentioned above. It is also the case that there was (or still is) a bug in RT (at least that was the case with the first edition) with specific reference to this.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

That is an old paradigm prior to S0iX Systems. The issue I believe arises that at the PNP Handshake the Marvell Adapter announces it Radios (WiFi and Bluetooth) and that they are S0iX compliant but with the Bluetooth Radio turned off the system tries and tries to put the Bluetooth Radio into S0iX and fails which prevents the System from entering into S0iX.