What's new

Banding issues on Pro3

A small rant, I'm tired of re-installing the intel drivers to remove the banding issues every time Microsoft updates my display drivers to that crappy 6/10/2014 update. I've disabled my automatic updates but I hate seeing that notification everytime my system restarts...OCD problems. Is there any way to delete that update from my system or does anyone know if microsoft is working on their driver fix?

OP
CustomSurfaceP2
It also happens with the current drivers that you have when on battery.
You can fix all of that with Surface Tweak Tool - http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...surface-tweak-tool-surface-pro-2-release.html

With the current Intel drivers, I don't have that issue on battery. Hide update is a good idea, but does that hide the rest of the system updates as well? I would like to ensure that all updates are received just not the graphics drivers from 6/10. Wish Microsoft would fix it, not even sure if they are aware of the issue.

ctitanic

A small rant, I'm tired of re-installing the intel drivers to remove the banding issues every time Microsoft updates my display drivers to that crappy 6/10/2014 update. I've disabled my automatic updates but I hate seeing that notification everytime my system restarts...OCD problems. Is there any way to delete that update from my system or does anyone know if microsoft is working on their driver fix?

Can anyone illustrate the "banding" issue posting a picture or something?

OP
CustomSurfaceP2
gradient-h.png

You should see this image as a smooth gradient, if not then you need to install the Intel Drivers.

ctitanic

I think that I'm blind. I see some small band, but they are so thin that they really do not bother me.

GoodBytes

Funny, I applied your fix and it made the band issue worse. So I went and reverted it. Now I don't have any bands at all.

Hmm interesting... I'll look into that. Thanks for the head up. Is that with the Intel drivers or the official Surface ones?
I probably screwed something up somewhere. I assume you site it to "Off", and not "On", of course :)
But anyway, now you saw how wrong you were supposed to see.
Thanks!

GoodBytes

I think that I'm blind. I see some small band, but they are so thin that they really do not bother me.
Based on your description, that is normal. This has to do that the LCD panel in the Surface Pro is a 6-bit color per channel (red, green, and blue are channels, all 3 of them).
The massive majority (~99.99%) of consumer grade TN panels are 6-bit panels
All, if not, nearly all tablet, phone, and laptops with an IPS displays, are 6-bit panels
All low cost IPS desktop monitoes are 6-bit panels.

Only the expensive consumer grade IPS panels are true 8-bit panels.

The content we view are in 8-bit per channel, so the display does dithering techniques, and/or color emulation tricks (takes 2 colors that it can produce, and switch between them repeatedly bto try and make you see the color it can't produce. This is called FRC, or Frame Rate Control. A variation of this technique is A-FRC, which stands for Advance Frame Rate Control, and that just means that the monitor has a color processor, which is uses to emulate significantly better the missing colors. Usually A-FRC are found on true 8-bit panels, because they cost already so much, it targets a consumer market that are willing to spend a premium price for a premium product. In such case, A-FRC is used to emulate 8-bot colors, as the panel is already true 8-bit, but rather emulate 10-bit colors.
The color processor is used, for really improving the color reproduction, based on the monitor color settings, which is something that the consumers interested in a true 8-bit panel, would be, well interested in. I mean, if you invest in a true 8-bit panel, it is because you are interested in getting the best color you can get. And by "you can get", I mean budget wise, as you want pin point color accuracy, then you go with pro grade monitors (like the ones from NEC or the Japanese company: EIZO), and use a supported color calibrator to adjust the monitor settings directly and generate a color profile to load in Windows and/or image editing software.

For price comparison between 6-bit and 8-bit panels (for your own knowledge. Please note that these are 16:10 monitors and not 16:9, so there is a premium for this already on both choices. The resolution on both is: 1920x1200 and not 1920x1080)
6-bit: Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor - U2412M : Parts & Upgrades | Dell Canada
8-bit: Dell UltraSharp 24 PremierColor Monitor - U2413 : Parts & Upgrades | Dell Canada

As you can see, going true 8-bit, is a nice premium, which is somewhat similar between brands... the above I picked Dells monitors, but it applies with other manufactures.

ctitanic

Hmm interesting... I'll look into that. Thanks for the head up. Is that with the Intel drivers or the official Surface ones?
I probably screwed something up somewhere. I assume you site it to "Off", and not "On", of course :)
But anyway, now you saw how wrong you were supposed to see.
Thanks!
It was the Pro 3 driver. And yes, now it's a lot better.