What's new

Battery capacity (mWh) dropping fast

wertzius

No, that is true! A fully charged battery will degrade faster than an 80% charged battery. You should read an article about LiIon und LiPo batteries.

Liam2349

make no sense.

It makes lots of sense. More time charging = higher device temperature = faster battery degradation. Basically.

Also by keeping the battery at 100% charge, the forces inside the battery are at a maximum due to all the repulsion from the negative charges and this can stress the battery by causing an increase in temperature.

wynand32

I follow Apple's advice in this case. Keep it plugged in during normal use and overnight, but use it on battery periodically to keep the ions moving.

Now, let me say that as a test, I've kept my SP3 plugged in continuously. Battery wear remains at 0%, in fact full capacity is higher than design capacity. Run it for a few days on and off battery, not letting it get below about 50%, and my battery wear creeps to 3% or so. Repeat putting it back on battery continuously, and it returns to 0% wear.

Never had a machine that acted like this, actually.

Liam2349

I follow Apple's advice in this case. Keep it plugged in during normal use and overnight, but use it on battery periodically to keep the ions moving.

Now, let me say that as a test, I've kept my SP3 plugged in continuously. Battery wear remains at 0%, in fact full capacity is higher than design capacity. Run it for a few days on and off battery, not letting it get below about 50%, and my battery wear creeps to 3% or so. Repeat putting it back on battery continuously, and it returns to 0% wear.

I can't say that I see any logic to the Apple advice. My justification makes sense in my head, so I'd be interested in hearing theirs.

yonghong

I hate this , mine weared 3.6% too.