What's new

Battery Completely Drained When On Sleep

objectref

Hi to all,

i charged my SP3 on Friday night until full and then i un-pluged the cords, put the device on a bag and took it with me on a trip. I didn't use it until today (30 mins before) when i opened the type cover and press the open button. Nothing happened, it was like a dead device (or battery run out compeletely) I pluged in the cord so to charge it and when finally Windows came on, i saw that it had...0% battery left!!

Something completeley has eaten the battery when device was closed!

I had Mail and Tweetium opened before i closed the type cover on Friday, as usual. What possibly could killed the battery when the device was not opened at all ? Is that "Connected StandBy" the problem ?

Thanks a lot for any help, very frustrated by this...

kristalsoldier

Hmmm...that's very odd. There must be some processes running that you may not be aware of. My SP3 has been off for a similar timeframe and though I have worked on it intermittently (but not more than say 2 hours cumulatively), the battery level shows 70%.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you not pull up the battery event log? I do not know the command off the top of my head, but it will tell you what went on.

While not normal, its just another example of why I turn devices off if they are not going to be used for a day etc, if its just going to sit in a bag, why have it turned on. Not like it takes 5 minutes to boot up.

malberttoo

You can run the Sleep Study tool to (hopefully) see what devices were keeping it awake.

Open your search charm, type in "command", and right-click on the result "Command Prompt" and select "run as administrator". Type in "powercfg.exe SleepStudy", and then point Internet Explorer to the location and .html file that the tool generates.

malberttoo

Can you not pull up the battery event log? I do not know the command off the top of my head, but it will tell you what went on.

While not normal, its just another example of why I turn devices off if they are not going to be used for a day etc, if its just going to sit in a bag, why have it turned on. Not like it takes 5 minutes to boot up.

Agreed. I hate the thought that I'm not getting to take advantage of almost instant-on with Sleep or Connected Standby, but anytime I'm carrying the SP3 around, I just shut it down. It takes less than 15 seconds to get to the lock screen, and it's already quick and ready to go once I'm logged in.

OP
O

objectref

Thank you all!! I am on the go now, i will try your suggestions and report back, hopefully tonight.
Thank you all again.

daveyp

You can create a shortcut that will put it into hibernation. Should fix your problems, 0% loss after about 36 hours.

See http://www.thetechchat.com/2014/07/14/surface-pro-3-tip-how-to-hibernate-and-keep-instantgo/

I pinned it to my start menu.

hib.jpg

OP
O

objectref

Hi to all again.

So:

I did the battery event log test as you said here. It seems that on Saturday, the device started a session for about 5.20 hours. Of cource, i tried to use it on...Sunday so it wasn't me that i woke it up.
So, the log has some info there and a list of "Top Offenders" that has an entry for

Marvell AVASTAR Network controller, Active Time 24% (1:15:39) and
Maintenance Phase, Active Time 16% (00:52:47)

Can you make anything from this ?

And as you recommend, i added the "hibernation" enty in Power options at the Start Screen and i disabled the "allow this device to wake up the computer" for the type cover.

OGF

That was my culprit also, except the active time was around 80-100 percent. This is what I did, Go to Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Network Controller -> right click
'Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller' -> Update Driver Software -> Browse My Computer For Driver Software -> "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" -> Then just install an older version, so one of the ones from 4/24(ver.15.68.3036.67) -> After that reinstall your computer and do the same thing EXCEPT instead of hitting "let me pick from a list..." click on search automatically for updated driver software -> install latest driver -> restart again, and the problem should be fixed. Basically all your doing is reinstalling the network controller software

OGF

no where do I suggest anywhere to reinstall windows? I just said restart the computer after the steps. This fixes the battery drainage for me. That option "Rollback driver" wasn't clickable so I had to do it this way.