Battery/Connected Standby Problem

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by Ceasar, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Ceasar

Ceasar New Member

Hi,

I bought my Surface Pro 3 a few months ago, and everything has worked fine. But last week I noticed the Surface won't go into hibernation mode after turning off the screen, because when I powered on the computer in the morning, it showed me the battery icon instead of the lockscreen, despite the battery was more than 50%. It also seems the battery was draining faster than usually.

Therefore I did a battery report a few days ago, and today again. See the relevant results:

Battery Report 1.png

Battery Report 2.png

It turns out that Connected Standby drains the battery really fast. I don't know why, and also don't know what to do. I hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance!

2. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

Have you run the SleepStudy? Something is probably running when it should be sleeping.
    Powercfg /Sleepstudy

3. Armin

Armin New Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I had the same problem. A software update from Microsoft seems to the problem. I deinstalled an update found on the buttom of the list of installed updates. The update is a separated entry at the end of the list. Since this update my surface didn't leave conected standby till the end of battery (as shown in you pictures). The update seems a chrismas-present from Microsoft :)

4. s87k57

s87k57 New Member

Same probs her in Germany... since last werk i think...

5. Ceasar

Ceasar New Member

Armin, I think you're right. From what I remember, the problems started indeed after an update from Microsoft. But I don't know which update I have to deinstall. On the list are updates for Windows Defender, and Internet Explorer, but I don't think these are causing problems. Could it be the last update for Windows 8.1 for x64-systems (16 December)?

6. Armin

Armin New Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    My Problem startet round about Dec. 24th. I scrolled the update-list because I didn't think, it's an Update from Defender. I found the update at the bottom of the list of installed Updates. While uninstalling something about Framework was shown. Sorry I don't know the real Name of the Update.

7. a[c]e

a[c]e New Member

My Device:
    SPro3
  8. Armin

Armin New Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    It could be. But the main problem in this case is something preventing Surface from entering suspend mode after 4h of connected standby. The batterydrain is "secondary". But I Don't know, when the discussed update came (mybe Germany gets it alter). Try it ...

9. Ceasar

Ceasar New Member

A few days ago I have installed some updates for Windows, and since then my Surface doesn't have the problem anymore. It just goes into hibernation after some time, like it did before. I barely used my Surface the last three days, and it lost only 10% battery. Maybe it was a bug in an earlier update.

a[c]e, I'm gonna watch your problem, but as Armin said, I don't think it's the same as I had.