What's new

Battery Degradation

Grumpy2

You aren't understanding what I'm saying. It has everything to do with Microsoft and Windows as other operating systems are touting "ease" and "just working" (Apple-esque) and you're advocating asking users to calibrate their batteries monthly.
I have an hP laptop with an Lithium battery and once a month I do a battery check. If the report says the battery is ok I leave it. If it tells me that the battery needs calibrating then I do that. I have been using Lithium batteries in devices since the late 90's and every device I have used needs calibrating on a regular basis. If you do not do that then you will get inaccurate readings. It is not just Microsoft, it is other devices as well. Although I must admit I have never calibrated the battery in my IPad 2 and quite frankly do not know if I need to.

Dblkk

There is no NEED to calibrate your battery every month. Yes it is good for your battery to do so, but not needed at all. Theres no studies or anything, but with or without calibration the actual lifespan on your battery in sp3 will outlast your use of it, even if your the type to hang onto things forever. And even then, no studies, but I cant imagine the benefit of calibrating monthly vs not having any real time effect of more than adding an extra month or so onto the 10+ years the battery will last. The only thing you will notice, is that the % of battery will remain more accurate, but even that is based on usage algorithims and your usage changes by the second and the % is inaccurate at best.

Liam2349

You aren't understanding what I'm saying. It has everything to do with Microsoft and Windows as other operating systems are touting "ease" and "just working" (Apple-esque) and you're advocating asking users to calibrate their batteries monthly.

And this isn't anything personal with you, it's simply the attitude which is developed after years of being primarily entrenched with enterprise and power users.

I am understanding what you are saying. However, you are not understanding me.

To my knowledge, Apple also recommends this kind of battery care. If you do not calibrate the battery in your MacBook, your battery reports will not be accurate - simple as. It is no different.

You don't need to be an advanced user to calibrate a battery - like you don't need to know how X-ray machines work to use them, you just push a button. All you have to do is run the device flat, through normal usage.

GoodBytes

Battery wear level varies at every charge. It is an ESTIMATE. It is normal to see it jump 2% one time and 7% the other, and the reverse,

GoodBytes

There is a lot of disagreement on this topic. I've heard many times that fully discharging a lithium ion battery shortens battery life. I use my SP3 and generally do not worry about the battery. Interesting article here:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
The link that you provided is filled with wrong information. It is from an author of a book, where he made this site and used it as facts to supports his claims in his own book.

Not all lithium-ion batteries are the same. This is what people don't get.
Microsoft uses good lithium-ion battery that is rated to maintain 80% of capacity up to 4 years. This is from AMA session on Reddit with the Surface team with the release of the Surface Pro 3 As a user of the Surface Pro 2, I can say that the battery they use are also more resident to heat. Despite having my device warm for extended period of time at least twice per week (for over 7h) since Janurary, my battery life of the device has not been affected.

The fact that you have to run this battery report through a command prompt basically proves everything. Walk into your closest library and ask every user using a PC to open a command prompt. I'm willing to bet that 9/10 won't know how.. Seriously. The point I'm trying to make is that when you're trying to market windows as this simplistic OS for everyone, you can't hang onto things like this. Like Grumpy said, this isn't even a thought on his Apple machine.

GoodBytes

Install Windows 10, and provide as feedback if you think it is important for Windows to have. So far, no one from what I can see is asking for this, so I don't think many cares.

Also, many don't know what ware level means, and how it is an estimated as the fully charged capacity varies at every charge. And that, even on a new system, the wear level won't be at 0% in many cases, making people assume that their laptop was previously used, or have a faulty battery. This will only make manufactures start lying about the full charge charge capacity, providing false information to the user, and turning the ware level ((full charge capacity / designed capacity) * 100) into a meaningless figure.

annabanana

The link that you provided is filled with wrong information. It is from an author of a book, where he made this site and used it as facts to supports his claims in his own book.

Not all lithium-ion batteries are the same. This is what people don't get.
Microsoft uses good lithium-ion battery that is rated to maintain 80% of capacity up to 4 years. This is from AMA session on Reddit with the Surface team with the release of the Surface Pro 3 As a user of the Surface Pro 2, I can say that the battery they use are also more resident to heat. Despite having my device warm for extended period of time at least twice per week (for over 7h) since Janurary, my battery life of the device has not been affected.

Hmm... oh well, sorry. In any case, it's not going to change how I use my SP3. :)

Walkop

Please, more information! I've done a lot of personal research into battery tech but I came across batteryuniversity on r\surface and I've never seen any information similar to that found there on battery wear.

I'd love to hear what you think is wrong with it or any information you have to the contrary of what is said there; the info on that website almost makes you paranoid about doing full charge cycles...

annabanana

I'd like to know what constitutes a charge cycle. Is it draining to 0% and charging to 100%? Does draining to 20% and charging to 80% count as a charge cycle? Or charging from 50% to 100% count as a charge cycle? Or ...?

nipponham

One charge cycle is from 0% to 100%. Your example of draining to 20% and then recharging to 80% does not constitute a full cycle. Drain it again this time to 60% and then recharge to 100%. It now counts as a full cycle. (60% charge + 40% charge = one cycle.)