What's new

Battery Degradation

That's silly. You can't "disagree" with it. Physics doesn't depend on the consumer knowing how to properly maintain a battery. It doesn't matter whether the device is calibrated before shipment or after, the effects of usage will be the same.

Battery education needs to improve, even if it means a warning/alarm built into the system. Of course, many will still refuse to be educated.
I think the fact that you think you can call my opinion silly is silly. My argument is all about the way Microsoft is perceived - something that needs to change.

Liam2349

I think the fact that you think you can call my opinion silly is silly. My argument is all about the way Microsoft is perceived - something that needs to change.

Your argument is that you want to calibrate the battery without calibrating it.

Oh, and blaming Microsoft for the way Li-Ion batteries work.

So yes, it is silly.

ronnyb29

I hate Apple but I have an ipad 2 (work) that is used daily that was bought on opening day that is still used daily with IOS 8.1.1 and while it's lagging today the battery will still last a week without charge. This is how devices should work, not running multi-line commands to generate html files of battery stats. Come on now....

Liam2349

I hate Apple but I have an ipad 2 (work) that is used daily that was bought on opening day that is still used daily with IOS 8.1.1 and while it's lagging today the battery will still last a week without charge. This is how devices should work, not running multi-line commands to generate html files of battery stats. Come on now....

The battery report is an advanced feature of Windows. If you don't know anything at all about CMD, then you probably have no need for a battery report.

Nicola

And that's what would happen with your SP3 if you don't do anything at all.
If you treat it as an iPad, it will behave as an iPad.

Now, why are you complaining about the fact that you have additional tools to possibly make it better?

This is the weirdest complain I've ever read.
"please, take my SP3 back, it has something more than my iPad and I don't like it!!"

Snickers

I find Batterybar Pro does a good job of showing you what's going on - I calibrated a couple of times and degradation went from 3% to 0.3% then to 0%

Just a simple run down on battery until shutdown, then a full charge with the SP3 off overnight, then another run down to shutdown and recharge overnight. Seem to get a much better estimate as to total runtime and rate of discharge etc. now as well.

I actually think it depends on how long your SP3 has been sitting on the shelf in the box as to how much calibration you need to do.. but I have absolutely no evidence for this whatsoever and it's pure guesswork or speculation.

Your argument is that you want to calibrate the battery without calibrating it.

Oh, and blaming Microsoft for the way Li-Ion batteries work.

So yes, it is silly.
It's silly that you can't understand that this is only an issue that Microsoft devices have (recently) been having. You won't ever hear an iPad user complaining about this.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's silly that you can't understand that this is only an issue that Microsoft devices have (recently) been having. You won't ever hear an iPad user complaining about this.
Why would an iPad user ever look, they don't care. I can tell you my iPad battery degraded, and so did my iPhone battery, and my iPod battery. Still my two year old Surface RT gets 8-10 hours.

The RDF is strong with this one.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Much of this, is comparing a full fledge Multitasking OS with Command Line Interface and Multiple Script Engines too a OS designed for a phone. OSX through the POSIX Shell has this same ability. One doesn't compare an iPad to a Surface Pro 3, you can compare a SP3 to a MBA and an iPad and a Notepad....

Nicola

How could an iPad user complain about it? They don't have any mean to verify this.
The fact that you don't know doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
In that sense you are right, people should live in a world of ignorance, so people like you would not complain.

How could an iPad user complain about it? They don't have any mean to verify this.
The fact that you don't know doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
In that sense you are right, people should live in a world of ignorance, so people like you would not complain.
The fact that I wasn't even the original poster, and that you can't see the second side of this is very disappointing. I guess I'm not entitled to have an opinion, maybe if we lived in that kind of world, folks like you would not have this sense of superiority.

This is a perception issue. Yes, the surface is not in the same category as the iPad. However, since Microsoft is billing it as a tablet, the comparisons will be made. Step outside of your bubbles to see this unfold in the real world.

Last edited:

Liam2349

iPads do not even offer the functionality to view these statistics, but that doesn't mean they behave differently. As I previously stated, and as you clearly ignored, every device that uses a Li-Ion battery is subjected to battery wear. The battery wears, and it then requires recalibration. Depending on usage, you will also require recalibration more or less frequently.

Furthermore, iPads are basically the most casual devices on the market after the common iPhone. I bet that most iPad users will be shocked to hear that their battery capacity decreases over time with usage, so how can they be expected to complain about something they have never heard of? Again, this does not mean the phenomenon does not exist - simply that you are ignorant to it.