What's new

Battery Degradation

VickiFL

I drained my SP3 battery today. Started at 100% and drained down to 5%. I had screen brightness at 50%, and only surfed the web. I also had Pandora going via browser (Google Chrome), not app. I got a little over 6 hours of battery time. I need to repeat this experiment using IE. (btw, I am using my SP3 in desktop mode for this experiment because that's how I use my SP3 95% of the time)

Tatletz

This is my battery report today:

battery report.PNG

VickiFL

I drained my SP3 battery today. Started at 100% and drained down to 5%. I had screen brightness at 50%, and only surfed the web. I also had Pandora going via browser (Google Chrome), not app. I got a little over 6 hours of battery time. I need to repeat this experiment using IE. (btw, I am using my SP3 in desktop mode for this experiment because that's how I use my SP3 95% of the time)

I'm pretty much done with the battery testing on my SP3 i5. I only surfed the web, no video, music, or apps; monitor brightness was always set at 50%. I tried Chrome and IE, starting at 100% and draining down to 5% every time. I really thought I would be able to get a lot more than 6 hours of battery time if I didn't have Pandora up, but I was wrong.

It would seem that my battery average is staying at around 6 hours. (6 1/2 max) I'm a little disappointed considering that I didn't really do anything to drain the battery quickly.

goodintentions

I hate Apple but I have an ipad 2 (work) that is used daily that was bought on opening day that is still used daily with IOS 8.1.1 and while it's lagging today the battery will still last a week without charge. This is how devices should work, not running multi-line commands to generate html files of battery stats. Come on now....
You are comparing an arm device to an Intel device?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hate Apple but I have an ipad 2 (work) that is used daily that was bought on opening day that is still used daily with IOS 8.1.1 and while it's lagging today the battery will still last a week without charge. This is how devices should work, not running multi-line commands to generate html files of battery stats. Come on now....
When I was using my iPad2 daily on the web it didn't last all day without needing a charge but yes, if you don't use it that much then the battery will last longer.

What your really saying is: the useful utility you achieved out of your iPad2 in a week amounted to about a days worth of use (aprox 7-8 hours), what you did the rest of the time is anyone's guess.

Last edited:

VickiFL

Ok, I lied. I'm still doing a little testing, lol

I used Chrome all day, and got 7 hours and 15 minutes. That makes me happy. :)

That test was done with no music, video or apps, and 50% screen brightness.

Maybe I'm getting more because I am working the battery.

goodintentions

I must admit that when I first started using the sp3 I was a little worried. The battery was running out after 6 hours or so. But after all the updates were installed, my sp3 I5 has lasted me all day today running visual studio.

ptrkhh

I used Chrome all day, and got 7 hours and 15 minutes. That makes me happy. :)

That test was done with no music, video or apps, and 50% screen brightness.

Maybe I'm getting more because I am working the battery.
I get roughly the same runtime WITH music (20%), video (20%), and apps (15%), but mostly browsing (40%), but no Chrome. In case you didn't know, Chrome is one of the biggest battery power drain culprit.
Auto-Brightness off, set at around 50% (occasionally 100% when outdoor), BT+WLAN always on.
Hence, I think you could get better runtime than that, if you didn't use Chrome.

Copied from batteryreport
2014-12-21 6:58:48
2014-12-22 9:50:22
2014-12-23 10:01:46
2014-12-24 7:38:32
2014-12-25 7:18:23
2014-12-26 6:08:14
2014-12-27 6:30:31
2014-12-28 7:27:51
2014-12-29 6:51:11
Current estimate of battery life based on all observed drains since OS install
Since OS install 7:14:25

VickiFL

Hence, I think you could get better runtime than that, if you didn't use Chrome.

It's funny you say that because in this experiment, I got better battery life when using Goggle vs. IE. (see my previous posts in this thread)