What's new

Battery Degradation

kristalsoldier

Taking in all the factors - usage/screen etc etc how an earth are you managing to get 8-8.5 hours of battery life! please do share your tips/setup. Also does this include any video/movie viewing.

Thanks

Nothing special really. On battery, the screen brightness is 39% (45% when on mains), I don't watch any movies/ video on it when on battery. Most commonly, I am working in Word with OneDrive open, MUI IE with one or two tabs open, Mail app open polling three accounts (two Outlook accounts and my work account - mails to be received and displayed as they come in and notifications on), Drawboard PDF open usually with 2 documents. In addition to this, I have Flipboard, Tweetium, Calendar, Next Gen Reader, Skype, Redditt2Go, the MS Store, Viber and Photos set to show notifications. I assume, therefore, that they are also running in the background. BT and Wifi are always on. Camera is off. That's about it really. On some other battery-related threads here, I have posted some recent battery reports, which also show the 8-8hr 30 min timeframe.

Having said that, I found that after the most recent firmware update, I was getting around 6 hrs to 6 hr 30 mins. This was irritating me enough to have posted a query on one of the threads here. Someone noted that they had reset their device and they had experienced improved battery life. So, I did the same - though I did not reset (don't have that much patience). Rather, I refreshed the device (which was also a pain, but a lesser pain). And, I noticed better battery life immediately (after all the indexing etc. and update-installations etc. were done).

delair

Nothing special really. On battery, the screen brightness is 39% (45% when on mains), I don't watch any movies/ video on it when on battery. Most commonly, I am working in Word with OneDrive open, MUI IE with one or two tabs open, Mail app open polling three accounts (two Outlook accounts and my work account - mails to be received and displayed as they come in and notifications on), Drawboard PDF open usually with 2 documents. In addition to this, I have Flipboard, Tweetium, Calendar, Next Gen Reader, Skype, Redditt2Go, the MS Store, Viber and Photos set to show notifications. I assume, therefore, that they are also running in the background. BT and Wifi are always on. Camera is off. That's about it really. On some other battery-related threads here, I have posted some recent battery reports, which also show the 8-8hr 30 min timeframe.

Having said that, I found that after the most recent firmware update, I was getting around 6 hrs to 6 hr 30 mins. This was irritating me enough to have posted a query on one of the threads here. Someone noted that they had reset their device and they had experienced improved battery life. So, I did the same - though I did not reset (don't have that much patience). Rather, I refreshed the device (which was also a pain, but a lesser pain). And, I noticed better battery life immediately (after all the indexing etc. and update-installations etc. were done).

Thank you for the reply. That is exactly what I am getting, aprox 6 hrs / 6 hr 30 mins & that's with Outlook, Onedrive, GDrive, Desktop/MUI IE, Onenote, screen at 40%, BT & Wifi on.

I will try the refresh and see where that takes me.

kristalsoldier

Thank you for the reply. That is exactly what I am getting, aprox 6 hrs / 6 hr 30 mins & that's with Outlook, Onedrive, GDrive, Desktop/MUI IE, Onenote, screen at 40%, BT & Wifi on.

I will try the refresh and see where that takes me.

OK. One thing though, I believe Outlook (the desktop app) does eat more battery. I have no idea about GDrive. I rarely if ever use the desktop version of IE. Also, Chrome is also reputed to be a battery hog though I have also read that recent versions have improved on this - I would not know since I have not installed Chrome on my SP3.

delair

OK. One thing though, I believe Outlook (the desktop app) does eat more battery. I have no idea about GDrive. I rarely if ever use the desktop version of IE. Also, Chrome is also reputed to be a battery hog though I have also read that recent versions have improved on this - I would not know since I have not installed Chrome on my SP3.

I don't have Chrome installed as I did read up on that however, I do on occasion use Chrome via RemoteAPP but very rarely. I guess there is also no harm in me trying the Mail app for few days and compare the battery life.

To be honest I will be happy if I hit 8hrs as that will get me through the day & any flight that I am on.

delair

I managed to refresh the device & completed all the updates yesterday (still a pain to do). So refreshed, updates, Onedrive & Adobe Reader, not installed office yet so will see how it goes.

Just out of interest, I compared the battery report with somebody else at work and they are getting 8 hr 30 mins on an average with 10 hrs on some days, that's crazy!!! with them using Office, Desktop Outlook, OneDrive, Onenote. However what i noticed is that his device is an i3 whereas my device is an i5 so wondering if this is a factor as i would assume the i3 consumes less power.

Out of interest what model do you have?

kristalsoldier

I managed to refresh the device & completed all the updates yesterday (still a pain to do). So refreshed, updates, Onedrive & Adobe Reader, not installed office yet so will see how it goes.

Just out of interest, I compared the battery report with somebody else at work and they are getting 8 hr 30 mins on an average with 10 hrs on some days, that's crazy!!! with them using Office, Desktop Outlook, OneDrive, Onenote. However what i noticed is that his device is an i3 whereas my device is an i5 so wondering if this is a factor as i would assume the i3 consumes less power.

Out of interest what model do you have?

I have the i5/ 4GB/ 128GB version.

delair

I have the i5/ 4GB/ 128GB version.

So i refreshed the device & re-installed some of the apps etc - used the device, ran updates etc and from the battery report it is showing me that the device has been active/used for 7hrs. Switched the device on this morning and I still have 61% remaining !!

23:14 Device was suspended at 63%
08:22 Device was active when i powered up with 61% juice

so, looks like the I may have a result!

Although i am yet to install Google Drive & Adobe PS/Il

kristalsoldier

So i refreshed the device & re-installed some of the apps etc - used the device, ran updates etc and from the battery report it is showing me that the device has been active/used for 7hrs. Switched the device on this morning and I still have 61% remaining !!

23:14 Device was suspended at 63%
08:22 Device was active when i powered up with 61% juice

so, looks like the I may have a result!

Although i am yet to install Google Drive & Adobe PS/Il

That's cool! However, I am not sure how Google Drive and Adobe PS/II would affect. The particular concern would be Google Drive, I think. But you can check this as and when you install. The odd thing is how the SP3 becomes battery efficient in refreshing/ resetting it.

delair

That's cool! However, I am not sure how Google Drive and Adobe PS/II would affect. The particular concern would be Google Drive, I think. But you can check this as and when you install. The odd thing is how the SP3 becomes battery efficient in refreshing/ resetting it.

I'm going to put my bets on Google Drive draining the battery, looks like anything Google destroys battery! - will try to install and observe.

Anybody tried Firefox? any impact on battery?

Thanks for your help.

kristalsoldier

I'm going to put my bets on Google Drive draining the battery, looks like anything Google destroys battery! - will try to install and observe.

Anybody tried Firefox? any impact on battery?

Thanks for your help.

I suspect it could be Google Drive too. I used to have Firefox on, but uninstalled it on the latest refresh (actually, the only time I have refreshed after having bought the device). I am planning to keep my device as streamlined as possible - as minimalistic as possible.

Glad to be of some assistance.