What's new

Battery drain 8% in 5hrs

Was wondering if that was the norm for you guys, had my device plugged in all night, then unplugged and took it to work, haven't used it til lunch and I'm noticing roughly an 8% battery drain in sleep mode after 5-5.5hrs.

wynand32

Yep, that's been about my experience. I've started hibernating my SP3 overnight and when I don't think I'll use it for awhile. Connected Standby/InstantGo has shown itself to be something of a battery hog, and really I don't mind refreshing my apps manually when I'm starting the machine after a bit of a break.

OP
CustomSurfaceP2
As far as I know, I have nothing running and I never have anymore than 2 programs running at once. It's just the way I use computers, always thinking about the battery. BatteryPro from what I can tell has not been very accurate though.

OP
CustomSurfaceP2
nope my sp3 is pretty cool at all times, was at 82% when i took it out to use it just now, installed office 2013, watched about 15mins worth of youtube videos, and drew some stuff for about 30 mins on manga studio and am now down to 67.4%. Does that sound about right? Batterybar is showing I have 3:23Hrs remaining with a full capacity of 5:23hrs.

dleuen

nope my sp3 is pretty cool at all times, was at 82% when i took it out to use it just now, installed office 2013, watched about 15mins worth of youtube videos, and drew some stuff for about 30 mins on manga studio and am now down to 67.4%. Does that sound about right? Batterybar is showing I have 3:23Hrs remaining with a full capacity of 5:23hrs.

That might sound about right for installing office, watching YouTube, etc. But your original issue is not right. The other thing I wonder about with connected standby is if I leave a browser window open that is getting advertisements served to me, will it still be serving me ads after I go into standby? And is that responsible for sucking up battery?

SeeVuPlay

I took my surface off the charger at 7:30 am this morning, which at time was 85%. When I got home today, I was at 16%...and it was 11:45 pm. Ive been using it on and off all day...most email, web search, one note. I am amazed at the battery life on this thing!

Also, bluetooth and wifi on all day as well...brightness at 80-85%

BirdmanAJ

Have you guys done a sleepstudy report? My drain is around 500mW which is rather high compared other reports I've seen. The report says this is "High Activity" but the Top Offenders are all green with nothing over %1 usage.

My guess it has something to do with the WiFi as when at work my drain is lower at around 300mW with same type of usage.

wynand32

So, oddly enough, I put my SP3 on hibernate when I shut down for the night last night, at 100% battery life. When I started up this morning (and it did apparently return from hibernate, although I don't know what it did during the night), it was at about 93%.

That raises the question: how did it burn 7% in about 8 hours when it was allegedly hibernating?

I'm glad I purchased Microsoft's extended warranty. I have a feeling I'll be replacing mine sometime in the next several months after Microsoft has (hopefully) worked out the kinks.

Last edited:
OP
CustomSurfaceP2
I believe the Wifi notification is the culprit, but I did a virus scan yesterday and found a malware. The COM Surrogate was also running the CPU at 13-40% every couple of seconds. Today, since 7am this morning til now 12noon it has taken up 6% which now seems normal?