Battery Drain after Shutdown

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 4' started by next_milenium, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Turbo4AWD

Turbo4AWD Active Member

My Device:
    Other
    Attempted to duplicate this issue earlier this week. First I tried just putting the Surface Pro 6 to sleep and remembering the charge was at 96%. The next evening, charge was 92%. Then last night I tried again at 91% and went down to 88%. Issue doesn't seem to affect me and I have not disabled/turned off the standby feature. Sorry to hear so many people are having this issue.

2. joeblow7777

joeblow7777 New Member

My Device:
    Other
    The original issue seems to have gotten a bit confused over the course of this thread. It’s not about power loss during sleep/standby mode, it’s apparent power loss when the device is fully shut down.

sharpuser and Turbo4AWD like this.
  3. Turbo4AWD

Turbo4AWD Active Member

My Device:
    Other
    Then I am definitely not experiencing this issue because if I don't put my device to sleep and choose shut down instead, the battery loses MAYBE 1% of power IF at all. When I power the device back up the next morning I have 99% or 100% charge. I thought maybe it was because of sleep mode.

sharpuser likes this.
  4. benone

benone New Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    I got the same problem and my surface is still under warranty.
    Microsoft hotline told me "is like that", if you want we can replace the device for you.
    But they said they can't guarantee it can solve the problem.
    And they don't give any refund or model upgrade options .
    WTF, which mean I need to suffer from the defect for no reasons?

5. mrkita

mrkita New Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    My I7 256GB SP4 shows the same exact behaviour (although for me, it's more like 25% in 12 hours or so).

I have tried everything included recovering from an image (reset), calibrating the battery, turning off CS, shutting down via shift, via shutdown cmd command.

Nothing makes a difference, they unit is now just a joke. I'm about 8 months out of warranty... seriously I'm done with MS devices, which is a shame, no other form factor comes close. They simply can't get their support and QA together for a device I paid 1700 euros for.

6. oiler_head

oiler_head New Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    In case anyone is still following this issue, MS released a firmware update today that "helps improve battery life" (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023489/surface-surface-pro-4-update-history). I suppose they can't make it much worse now can they? I personally, haven't installed it but will as soon as I post this. I hope my battery life improves to something more than an hour. It was at least 4 hrs at the beginning of the calendar year.

7. next_milenium

next_milenium Member

I will try this firmware update as soon as I go home. However, I'm not holding my breath!

8. oiler_head

oiler_head New Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Well I guess its better. I installed the firmware and then let it run off power and it stayed powered for about 3.5 hrs. It was estimating as much as 5-6 hrs but it did nosedive the last hour because when I came back from walking the dog (~35 minutes) it was dead. So its better than less than an hour but I need to recharge and run the battery test again.