What's new

Battery Drain While Plugged in

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Like i said i haven't ascertained yet if this is the case. Ive been too busy to run any tests. When it depleted it was a vm running a vpn and Netflix on the host (hardly the most taxing thing that you could do) but i certainly will be running stuff on the device that will use full cpu in the future hence the concern.
You are using VMware workstation correct? Have you considered switching to Hyper-V which is at least S0iX aware and even compatible under Windows 10?

My experience with VMware workstation and VirtualBox is that the VM behaves like a desktop and doesn't play well with S0iX Machines. These virtualization platforms do OK with S3 legacy ACPI machines though.

OP
V

Votality

You are using VMware workstation correct? Have you considered switching to Hyper-V which is at least S0iX aware and even compatible under Windows 10?

My experience with VMware workstation and VirtualBox is that the VM behaves like a desktop and doesn't play well with S0iX Machines. These virtualization platforms do OK with S3 legacy ACPI machines though.

Not a bad suggestion. I actually used hyper-v early on but there were issues with it early on (that i think ms has addressed now) but I actually use vmware now specifically for its unity mode (unity wasn't actually in use when the drain happened)

I did two things after the drain happened (changed max cpu on host to 99% and changed the power profile to battery saver in the guest and haven't had the issue since so thats possibly a work around but i haven't tried it with netflix at the same time (changing dsl providers so stuck on mobile data for few days so i cant try the streaming).

But it doesn't sound like its a vm only issue if others have experienced it in game usage. But when i do some testing i will see if i can reproduce the drain with hyper-v also.

OP
V

Votality

I have run a few tests. (Not terribly comprehensive although)

While it did seem to take a while to determine if the system was charging when plugging the adapter in, so far it looks like it will charge under full load. (GPU,CPU & SSD loaded). I have applied the latest system update since I had the issue so I'm not sure if anything was addressed in it.

What I didn't say in previous posts is I suspect if the charger wasn't meeting the power demands ms would probably just release a firmware update to reduce the maximum gpu/cpu clock rates attainable rather than issue people with a better power supply.