What's new

Battery Indication totally messed up

evil-twin

edit: Sorry, wrong sub-forum, please move to Surface Help.

Hi guys,

Happy New Year everyone.

I have some weird behaviour on my Surface Pro 2 256GB.
After charging it to 100 % I can use it for hours (2-3 hours) constantly without dropping a single percent according to the battery indication. After that time it is starting to drop towards 0 very fast in about 3-4 hours of constant use.
Experiencing that problem I created a Windows 8 Battery report which is giving me some really strange results.
With a Design Capacity of 42 mWh it sometimes only diagnoses a full charge capacity of 22 mWh. After a complete discharge of the battery the full charge capacity goes back to about 40-41 mWh, but not for long. After a new recharging from, let's say 50% to 100%, it is back at 22 mWh. This also results in sometimes displayed remaining capacity of 170% according to the report.

batt03.PNG

batt02.PNG

batt01.PNG

A typical time-dependend curve of charge capacitity in battery mode while being in use looks that way (top level is 100%):

batt04.PNG

The problem is not the battery itself. I can get easily 8 hours of constant use with this device but the indications are completely messed up.
Anyone who is common with this kind of problem and can give advice? Thanks in advance for every help.

I will also attach the whole battery report below.

Attachments

• battery-report.zip
    8 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Did you have the failed install of the December Firmware Update? Most of these issues are from the December Update and are supposed to be fixed with the January Update.

OP
E

evil-twin

Did you have the failed install of the December Firmware Update? Most of these issues are from the December Update and are supposed to be fixed with the January Update.
Indeed, I do have applied the December Update (also with failure message). I hope the January update fixes this.
Otherwise maybe asking support for a replacement device later, I think.

Last edited:

Sue B

I have had the same problem -- lost some important work and was in Asia without easy access to power...It happened over and over. All updates were installed, including the Dec Update. I took it to the Microsoft Store twice. They scanned my MS3 and kept it. Scan showed nothing wrong, and behavior did not recur while they had it. I used it steadily for 2 days without problem, -- with appropriate battery readings telling me when I needed to plug in. In the middle of a presentation today I was at 40% and the machine dropped to 0 in seconds. Not sure where to go from here....